November 20, 2017, 12:43:25 AM

Author Topic: No love here for the .22?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Hooks

Re: No love here for the .22?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
well the 17 is suseptable to wind more cause of its size but i would say its accurate enough

That's pretty discouraging.  I know past 100 yards even a very slight breeze will blow my .22 bullets all over the place.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 11:30:25 PM »
I don't think it's as bad as it initially sounds. Alot of factors to consider. More physics than I care to get into at this stage in my life. Lighter projectile, yes but it is moving better that twice the average LR speed and presents a smaller profile for the wind to effect. Wind will definately screw with point of impact, but it's not like it's going to blow it into the next county. Still a miss is a miss, by an inch or a foot.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
well the 17 is suseptable to wind more cause of its size but i would say its accurate enough

The .17 has been proven to have LESS drift and is more accurate.  The debate raged for quite a while until the .17 was vindicated.

I've hunted with both for years, the .22 for years longer than most of you have been living and the .17 since it has been on the market.

I'm not dissing the .22. It still has its following and always will have, for good reasons.
The .17HMR works better for my type of hunting. And I've shot alongside with a lot of good tricked out .22 rifles on the range and proven better accuracy with right off the shelf .17 rifles. It's a proven no contest at extended ranges, too.

One range outing turned out to be a lot of fun and an education for a pal that showed up with his .22 Mag. He (Bob) was a dept. mgr. for Wallyworld and owns a lot of guns and does a lot of shooting.
Bob was watching us sighting in our .17s and challenged me to a match, 5 shots at a mere 50 yards. He suggested we shoot some set up empty 12GA shotgun shells at the end of the range.  :roll: :twisted:

I suggested we reset the shell targets to have the empty shells face us with the primers facing us and shoot the primers instead just shooting the standing up shells.
Yep, this should have been a warning, but Bob persisted. I told Bob to watch the first 5 shells, watch through his scope at the center of the shotgun shell brass. After my 5 shots, he just put his rifle into it's case, sat down, and stewed. ;D
I walked over to his shooting bench and placed my rifle on the bench in front of him and placed a loaded clip by the rifle and told Bob to pop off the clip.
Bob did and was very impressed. He had never shot a .17 before and was a victim of what negative remarks he had heard about the .17. Ol' Bob went away with a new respect for the .17.

I've enjoyed letting folks at the range shoot my .17. It's been quite an eye opener for many of them.  :) My having been an official NRA range officer and instructor in the past helps, too.

A few years ago I was hunting with my brother Don. He was hunting with his tricked out 10/22 and I was packing my .17. We happened upon three fox squirrels romping on a large tree and the ground. The squirrels were about a hundred yards distance and spotted us as we slipped behind a large oak tree.
Brother Don suggested we sneak closer for a shot.
My reply was, "Sneak, h3ll"! and poked my rifle around the tree and peeled one of the squirrels off the tree. The 17grain VMax did a real number on the squirrel's head. With easily twice the effective range, it's a no brainer.
Don was impressed. His remark was, "I have to get me one of those"! And a week later, he owned one and was hunting with it. His .22 is now retired.

My hunting pals have switched out their .22s for .17HMRs, too. Our .22 rifles just couldn't compete with the .17s.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
Both have their place.  In the past, the way that I hunted was to slip through the woods and spot the squirrels before they saw me, and then proceed to evacuate the contents of their head the a 17 grain V-Max.  :twisted:  1 shot = 1 kill.  O0

This year though, hunting with the dog, I'm going to be taking the .22 LR.  I've got a feeling that the squirrels won't want to sit still too long with the dog at the bottom of the tree.  Since I'm going to be shooting at more moving and skittish squirrels, I'm taking the .22 so that I don't tear them up as bad.  Plus, a .17 HMR bolt action doesn't lend itself very well to follow-up shots.

It all depends upon what you're going to be using the gun for.  If it's a stealth mission and you'll be sniping, then the .17 HMR has the advantage.  If it's more of a running game, or you'll be shooting more, then the .22 has the advantage.

The biggest downside to the .17 is that the ammo isn't as cheap as the .22.  But if you consider that if you only need 1 shot/animal, the cost really isn't that high.  Not to mention, there's just something that makes you grunt a couple of times down deep, when you go pick up a squirrel that's been decapitated by that little 17 grain bullet.  :twisted: :twisted: O0   You just have to experience it to know how gratifying it is.  O0 ;D

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
  O0 O0 Yeah on that, BC!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
What till i manage to get some pics of what my 22mag shooting maxi mag +vs from cci do to squirrel heads
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
What till i manage to get some pics of what my 22mag shooting maxi mag +vs from cci do to squirrel heads

ok but i dont think we have that long....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
ok but i dont think we have that long....

HEY!! I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THE SMART A** HERE!! :twisted: :roll: :wink: O0

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:32:09 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »
What BC and JA said.

Of course if you're a real man with hair on your hiney, you ONLY hunt with a Ruger Single Six!!!

The choice of WELL ENDOWED MEN everywhere!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:40:03 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 09:15:07 AM »
HEY!! I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THE SMART A** HERE!! :twisted: :roll: :wink: O0

well after that jumper i figured you could use a little r&r time thats all
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments