November 21, 2017, 10:56:36 PM

Author Topic: No love here for the .22?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: No love here for the .22?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I'll stick with my match grade Savage .17HMR and my Browning Buckmark Camper .22 pistol for squirrels. The Buckmark is for those sneaky ones that get in close.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Hooks

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
50 Yards, 10 shots.  Prone, with bidpod.   

Stock CZ 452, Weaver V16.   Federal 711B.

I've had 3 .22s that would do this when I'm having a good day.  I went to my fun store this morning when I got off work, told him I want a .17 that will shoot like this.  He said they don't make em. 

Found a used Savage in .17 locally for a good buy.  I'm going to see what I can do with it.  The model 70 will have to wait until next year, cause I just found out that we're going to be out of work for 3-4 weeks in Dec.  So with the cash I have in my gun pot I should be able to restock the Savage if needed and maybe even a rebarrel job.  Thanks for the comments, I've been looking for a good excuse to try the world of .17s, but with so much negativity for them around my neck of the woods I've always talked myself out of it.  We'll see though, I'll keep you posted on the Savage.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
boy he lied to you!! i got a .17 in the garage that will do that at 100 yards all day long.
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
No kidding Morax!  ;D  Hooks, if you want a real shooter though, get a Marlin.  O0  There's a reason you can find so many used Savage .17's.  :roll: ;D  I've got the Marlin 17VS, the predecessor to the 917 that's available now.  The trigger was crap, but is smooth as silk, setting at about 1.5 - 2 lbs now that I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it.  I've had flies land on my target at 50 yds while I was shooting and I've made greasy spots out of them.  :twisted: O0  The last time I had the critter out shooting it, I was shooting at 50 yds and had to adjust my scope a hair from where I bumped it while hunting the previous year.  After I got the scope set at 50, I put 3 shots into the 100 yd target.  All 3 were touching and were about 1/4" low.

The reason the .17's are so accurate is because of the bullets.  When Hornady developed the round, they used the same tight tolerances in the design and manufacture of the bullets that they do with centerfire bullets.  Regular .22 bullets aren't made to those tight tolerances.  Slight imperfections and inconsistancies within the bullets themselves are the reason the .22 is not as accurate as the .17.

BTW, in case you're wondering, me and the old Injun always give each other crap back and forth about Marlin vs. Savage.  :roll: ;D  Even though I do own a few Savage rifles, I'm a Marlin man at heart because THEY ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO THE LOWLY SAVAGE!  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: O0 O0

You just can't argue with the results!  O0  There's something very satisfying about picking up a squirrel missing the majority of it's head.  :twisted:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:55:58 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
Those squirrels were actually taken with a Ruger Single-Six! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 08:38:47 AM »
Those squirrels were actually taken with a Ruger Single-Six! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
and by someone else too hahahha   i was gonna say something of the marlin versus savage remarks, i like my savage, it shoots good enough for me hits what i point it at, no problems here with it
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:23:01 AM by Morax »
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
.17s RULE! Savage guns RULE! I do enjoy BC's and my running poke about Savage vs. Marlin.  :twisted: ;D
What you fellow .17 shooters say is true. What .22s can do at 50 yards can easily be done at 100 with the .17. I put 3 through the same hole at 100 meters. Not a cloverleaf group, it was a one single .17 hole group.

And hunting is a good test of how the .17HMR performs. It's no contest, like I said before. If the .22 still fit the bill we wouldn't have shelved our .22 rifles and gone to a .17.

I've put down some varmints a good size larger than squirrels with my .17. Namely, a big feral cat, a big coyote, and a couple of deer chasing feral dogs. Some .17 shooters are easily knocking over PDs and ground squirrels at 200 and 300 yards.

It's a real pleasure to be shooting such a flat shooting round. Between 50 and 100 yards, shooting a .22 is a guessing game for most .22 shooters. And the .22 shooters won't enjoy the groups that .17 shooters enjoy. BC mentions shooting flys. It's a sport enjoyed by .17 shooters, a 100 yard or meter fly shoot. A fly attracting substance is applied to a 100 yard or 100 meter  paper target. The bullseye isn't shot at, the flys are the targets. What you have for a hit is a tiny .17 hole with fly splatter around the hole.  :twisted: Try that with a .22!  :roll: :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
DOWN WITH THE .17! :evil: Don't listen to these perpetuators of scandalous frivolity... they will soon claim your soul... :roll: :knuppel2
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
DOWN WITH THE .17! :evil: Don't listen to these perpetuators of scandalous frivolity... they will soon claim your soul... :roll: :knuppel2

Only when Remington brings back the Nylon 66, will balance and order be returned to the "Force". Until that time, the dark side will reign!!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
BC and John both speak the truth here. I won't get into the Savage Vs. Marlin here, as I have a Marlin; but have shot many Savages- all with excellent results! I have done the trigger trick like BC, and have an attached bipod and a clear 24x mil-dot scope. My .17 is also fly-swatting, shooting bench KING! I have a lot of fun with crows and groundhogs where I can lie prone or sandbag it on my truck hood. As far as squirrels, however, I must confess that I haven't shelved my .22. I simply am not good enough of a shot to get the most out of my .17. Until I start carrying a shooting bench through the timber, my .22 will continue to travel with me; and make every off-hand and tree-leaning shot that I am good enough to pull off. Maybe they won't be missing most of their noggin, but the tail-trailing, death-fall spiral and thud is just as sweet :twisted:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments