December 17, 2017, 12:40:57 PM

Author Topic: Well, Today Was A Bust!  (Read 769 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Well, Today Was A Bust!
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »
Got to my little blind this morning at 6:40 AM and didn't leave it until about 7:30 PM tonight.  Stayed in there all day and all I've got show for it is a soar butt.  >:(  I didn't see the first friggin' deer!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff  Didn't even hear any anywhere.  Guess they finally figured right on making our county a Zone 3 for deer.  I heard a total of 10 shots this morning and that was it.  Didn't hear any this afternoon.

I was hunting across the road on 68 acres we've got there.  One of my uncles was behind the house in the shooting shack this afternoon.  He didn't see anything either.

Figured it would be more productive just staying in bed tomorrow morning, so I came on back tonight.

The only "positive" thing about today is that I now know for certain that the dog and I need to thin the squirrels out down there quite a bit!  ;D  Think that's what we'll do next weekend.  O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Well, Today Was A Bust!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Wasn't a total bust, anyhow. At least it ended with some good squirrel scouting and I know where that's going to lead to!  :twisted: O0

The deer here are moving late and the hunters are harvesting very few. Last night I checked a small one a fella killed. It was a yearling less than 100 pounds live weight. It was his mandatory antlerless deer before he could shoot a buck on our installation.

You have a lot of squirrels in Kentucky this year, BC? Mast is probably heavy, I bet.

Our white oak acorn crop is probably a 3rd or 4th of normal for some reason. Other mast here in SE Iowa seems heavy this year.

I am seeing lots of squirrels but lack the time to hunt.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
Sorry ya didn't see anything, man. But, for me at least, sitting in the blind is better than sitting at school or work. Good luck on those squirrels as well! O0
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »
A SORE BUTT?? You're hunting with Nutz again???? :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

At least you got out and tried!

Like JA said with all them squirrels maybe the deer are holding near the oaks more so than normal. Those mast crops can keep the deer satisfied. Maybe that new WMA next to your place is causing the deer to change their movements too?

Maybe they're moving more during mid day?

Get back out there!!

What's your camera getting pictures of?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »
What's your camera getting pictures of?

6 different deer & that's it!  >:(  The last time I checked it was 9/5.  I've not messed with it since, so I figured the batteries were dead, and they were.  I pulled the thing as I was leaving Saturday evening.  Got home and checked the card.  I had approx. 1250 pictures on it.  After taking out the black ones (where the flash doesn't want to work sometimes at night), the blank ones, and the coons, I was left with around 300 pictures with deer in them.  Of those, I was only able to identify 6 different deer.  There was one old pitiful looking doe (think she must have been sick or something), a doe with 2 fawns, a 4 pt, and a spike.  Looks like slim pickins this year.  >:(

As for the WMA, I don't think it's getting very much use.  It's foot traffic only on the area, and with it being a spread out and rugged as it is, not a lot of people are using it.  Every time that I've gone by there I've never seen any vehicles at the place.

As for the acorn crop.....  :roll:  We've got a bumper crop of red oaks this year.  Haven't really seen any white oak acorns, but it could be because all of the red oak acorns are covering them up!  :shock:  I'm not kidding, I've NEVER seen acorns as thick as they are this year!  :shock: :shock:  You literally can't take a step without stepping on at least 1.

As for the squirrels, the dog and I have talked about it.  We don't plan on taking any prisoners this next weekend.  O0  Unlike Ks....................  :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:08 AM »
White oak crop is only about a 3rd and some places, a 4th of normal. And yes, red oak acorn crop is extra heavy this year. A lot of the red oaks have been dying off over the years and maybe that's nature's way of patching things.

Heck, you might as well be squirrel hunting, BC.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:20:25 AM »
BC......here in Wisconsin we have a bumper crop of acorns also...in fact I think there might be too much........the dang deer don't need to travel to find food....they can hang out about any place in our woods and eat for hours......at least that's my theory for my woods.......they aren't traveling the normal trails or times like years past.....but all I need is one BIG BOY to walk by and that's worth the wait  O0
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
I had corn out in front of the camera before the acorns started dropping much.  You'd think that I would have gotten pictures of more deer.  ???

I'm going down there this weekend and lay out about 400 lbs of corn and hang the camera again, but I'm going to a different spot this time.  That saddle where I had been has been a good spot for several years, but apparently they aren't going through there much anymore.  The other place I'm going, the wind isn't as consistent as that saddle, but hopefully there will be more movement.  Our gun season opens 11/13.  The rut should be in full swing then.   O0  With any luck I may catch a horny old mossyhorned critter cruising for some does. :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »
Good luck, BC! I have been seeing bucks moving quite a bit at night. With the cool weather, the deer are moving a tad more. Hunter sucess has been extremely poor here in SE Iowa.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
That nice 10 point that was taken at our club on opening weekend had never been seen or photgraphed.

I think we've got something like 8 or 9 cameras out there and he was never seen.

So maybe there's a big one that's been avoiding your camera too! Some deer can be camera shy!

Especially those with big racks! :wink: O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments