October 19, 2017, 03:20:14 AM

Author Topic: This Weekend We Do REAL Deer Hunting!!  (Read 756 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
This Weekend We Do REAL Deer Hunting!!
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
I'm leaving after work tonight to head down to south Georgia to hunt deer with dogs. This is my all time favorite type of deer hunting. But, because of expense and distance, I don't get to do it much these days.

We don't use rifles, we use shotguns with buckshot. I've got a Mossberg 835 and shoot 3" 000 buckshot and 3 1/2" 00 buckshot from it. It is more than deadly in the swamps of south Georgia where shots are fast and often under 50 yards.

There's also plenty of hogs down there, so might get a shot at some of them too.

As fas as dogs go, I know we've got walkers, redbones, blueticks and lots and lots of beagles that run the deer. If they have any plotts, I'll be sure to get an after action report for our plott, so he'll know how his breed did!

If I get one great, but if I strike out, I'll still be happy! This is deer hunting as it was MEANT TO BE so I'm happy no matter what!!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: This Weekend We Do REAL Deer Hunting!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
Hey Bo, Where are you hunting? All dog hunting is east of me by 1 county. Guys are riding around with their Dog boxes all over town right now. I have never dog hunted but I know guys that do it all the time. They think that is the only way to hunt!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
Just like hunting big swamp rabbits!  :twisted: O0 Git em, bo! Good luck!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
If they have any plotts, I'll be sure to get an after action report for our plott, so he'll know how his breed did!

Plott already knows how his dogs do on deer.  O0  They're some of the finest deer dogs in Iowa.  ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
Plott already knows how his dogs do on deer.  O0  They're some of the finest deer dogs in Iowa.  ;D
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D And possums and skunks!

Plott had some good cat dogs but it led to trouble with the old widow gal that owned the place next to him. Plott's dogs stretched some of her cats.  :twisted: O0 :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
Well I popped a hog and doe this weekend and had the best time in a long time!

I still hunted on Friday with my rifle and saw some moving through the swamp but they were moving in and out of the cypress tress so fast I couldn't tell what they were and didn't shoot.

Saturday morning we put the dogs out and had a good run going and saw a boatload of hogs kicking it through the swamp but out of shotgun range. Anybody who thinks hogs can't run, need to chase them behind dogs. It'll give you a heart attack even if you're in good shape.

Came in for lunch and went back out about 3pm and had another good run. This time I saw a nice buck with a good rack for south Georgia deer, but I couldn't get a shot through the brush.

After he went by, about 15 minutes later, I was just standing next to a big oak tree and looked to my left and there was a big fat doe less than 40 yards away. I never heard it or have any idea where it came from. It was looking away from me and I brought up my shotgun and put the bead high on the shoulder/lung area and shot. The 3" mags of 000 buckshot hit her in the shoulder and spine and she dropped like a rock.

When we dressed her out, I found two pellets all the way through the shoulder area and stuck in her hide on the other side from the entrance wounds. You could actually feel them under the hide and I kept as a reminder that buckshot is just as lethal as any high powered rifle. You just have to know it's and your limitations.

Sunday morning was like somebody had turned every pig in the area loose. Without exageration I'm guessing I saw 25 pigs between 7am and 11am. I just couldn't get a clear shots as they ran through the palmetto and undergrowth. About 10am I heard some splashing and had four coming right at me.

I was behind a cypress tree actually standing in water up to my knees when I moved they saw or smelled or heard me, because they all stopped and I popped the closest one who was maybe 15 yards away if not closer. Just like the deer, he dropped like a rock and that was that. Actually saw a few more after I got this guy, they were all over the place.

000 buckshot is murder. I'm thinking about using it for home defense!

He dressed out a little over 100lbs, which is a good size hog down there.

This hunting club has been around for over 70 years and they have customs and belief's that I really like. The meat is always divided after the hunt with the shooter getting a roast.

If you miss a deer or hog, they hold a trial and you are always found guilty of missing and you wind up getting your shirt tail cut. Thankfully I didn't miss.

It's sad that there are people out there who call themselves hunters, who want to ban this kind of hunting. Great thing about being a GP'er is that those a**holes don't last long here!! O0 O0 O0 O0

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »
Hey Bo, Where are you hunting? All dog hunting is east of me by 1 county. Guys are riding around with their Dog boxes all over town right now. I have never dog hunted but I know guys that do it all the time. They think that is the only way to hunt!

This club is Long county near Ludowici (near Savannah)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 You done real good, bo! I bet that was exciting!
00 buckshot and #4 Buckshot worked great for some of my hunting in the past.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 You done real good, bo! I bet that was exciting!
00 buckshot and #4 Buckshot worked great for some of my hunting in the past.

I mix my loads in my 835. I load 3" 000 buckshot loads for my first shot, because just like rifle hunting, your first shot is always the most important. I back that up with the 3 1/2" loads of 00 buckshot. This is just in case you miss and the need for a longer shot comes up as the deer runs away. It only takes one pellet to kill a deer. Just like you said, #4 will do it nicely!!

I've seen a single pellet of #4 buckshot kill a deer as dead as any .338 Winchester magnum.

Facebook Comments