November 23, 2017, 10:28:31 PM

Author Topic: Opening Day Was A Bust!  (Read 937 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Opening Day Was A Bust!
« on: November 08, 2003, 10:54:18 PM »
Our General Season opened today.  The General Season is basically a "shoot what ya brung" type deal.  Everything that is "legal" is legal.......rifle, shotgun slug, pistol, muzzleloader, crossbow, bow.

I got away from work for today only.  Took my .44 mag pistol and one of my .270 rifles.  I saw a decent buck (wide 8-10 pt) at about 8:00 this morning, but couldn't get a shot with either the pistol or the rifle.  He was only about 25 yds away, but got through an opening and into some thick stuff before I could get either the pistol or rifle up.  Had a doe and button feeding about 15 feet away from me for a while at about 9:00 AM (I was on the ground hunting), and that's it!  I sat ALL DAY!!!!!!!  From daylight to dark.  I know one thing though, I didn't thin out enough squirrels earlier this year!!!!  Can't wait till I get my .17 cal.!!!!!!!!!!!  Dang things aggrivated the crap out of me all day today.

I've got Thursday off also, so I'm going to try it again.  I was hoping to see the big buck that I saw bowhunting, but it didn't happen.  I'm going to try a different spot on Thursday, so hopefully I'll get him then.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
Opening Day Was A Bust!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 09:13:28 AM »
I know what you mean on the bushy tailed rats......  pesky little cusses.  :evil:

Hang in there - that 8 ptr will probably come back to say hi.    8)
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Opening Day Was A Bust!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 08:50:45 PM »
I don't know how many times I strained my neck around to see one of them dang "200 lb" squirrels, or that's what they sounded like at least!

I've been wanting to move the stand that I was in during MZ season, but I haven't had any time to do it.  I think I've got a spot where I can sit and watch the food plot, without the deer smelling me.  Trouble is just getting the time to move the stand!

I may hunt another stand I've got up.  I hunted out of it once during bow season, seeing only turkeys.  The reason I put the stand there though was because of all of the old rubs and scrapes I found.  The big deer I saw bowhunting came into the food plot from that direction, so hopefully................... :P
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments