December 15, 2017, 03:29:26 AM

Author Topic: Anyone cast for muzzleloader?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Anyone cast for muzzleloader?
« on: January 08, 2005, 01:17:06 AM »
About 2 yrs ago a good friend gave me a new,in the box CVA Staghorn 209 muzzleloader in 50 cal Magnum.This is my first muzzleloader.At the time my world was turning upside down and time to shoot it was out off the question.I haven't even cleaned the factory grease out of it.It's killing me to have this new toy and still haven't shot it.
 I started pricing the shooting supplies that CVA recommends(theirs of course)I'll tell you what, they're gonna need a gun to make me pay that kinda money to shoot it. I put pen to paper, did the math and figured out that if I cast my own bullets and use FFg , I can shoot it for a mere fraction of what they want me to spend.( $.32 vs $1.15 per shot, And I love to shoot)
 Any suggestions on what molds to get?All my research keeps bringing me back to Lyman minnies and Lee R.E.A.L. molds, like they're the only ones made. I think I like the Lee bullets best so far but I know there's got to be more molds to choose from.As a last resort I guess I could cast 45's and put them in sabots, perhaps the lead savings would offset the cost of the sabots, UGH... too much Math this time of night.
 Any suggestions or cheap sources for cast bullets ?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Anyone cast for muzzleloader?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 10:26:29 AM »
I've never cast any.  My advice would be to do a search on the internet for muzzleloading, traditional muzzleloading, muzzleloading supplies, bullet casting, and probably reloading supplies.  Do a search for all of these.  You should come up with quite a few leads on stuff.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments