December 16, 2017, 05:59:49 AM

Author Topic: Opening Day  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Opening Day
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
Yesterday was the opener for our general gun season.  I took Friday off from work as a "mental health" day.  :wink:  I had had about as much of that place as I could stand for a little bit.  >:(  Probably a good thing I took Friday off, because I woke up sick at my stomach, and kept feeling like I was going to puke.  Felt like that for the rest of the day, and was debating on going hunting yesterday.  Got up at 3:50 AM and was still sick, but got dressed and drove down to the farm.  Got up to the blind around 6:00 AM, only having gagged a few times.  :wink: ;D  Was prepared to sit all day, but didn't have to.  O0  Around 9:40 AM I heard a deer coming down off of the ridge, so I grabbed the pistol and braced it on a limb.

The deer was around 50-60 yds away and took a little bit before he was broadside and not behind a tree or moving.  The pistol cracked, the deer kicked his back legs, trotted a few steps and then started slowly walking off.  O0  I saw him stagger a couple of steps, but eventually lost sight of him.  Grabbed the .444 Marlin and kept looking around through the scope trying to find the critter, but couldn't spot him.  Figured I'd just let him sit for a little bit while I got my stuff together.

After about 20 minutes or so, I started toward where I'd seen him last, stopped and pulled the deer cam I had on the area, and walked up to the last place I'd seen him.

Oh happy day!  :)

I thought he was around a spike to 3 pt when I shot, but turns out he was a 7 1/2 pt.  :wink: ;D  He's got a kicker off the back of the left beam at the base.  Not the biggest deer by any stretch of the imagination, but I really didn't care.  :)  Considering how I was feeling and the overall lack of deer down there this year, I'm happy with him.  O0  Not to mention that I got him with the pistol.  O0

My brother came in from WI and brought 2 friends with him and were down there hunting also.  He sent me a text this morning saying that none of them have seen anything.

I had to take off yesterday morning from down there because it was getting hot and I had already puked in the drive way after getting the deer loaded.  :buck2  Didn't get to stick around and see what all any of my friends/relatives had seen/gotten.  Finally got the last of the deboned meat in the cooler and iced down last night around 7:00 PM.  Even then, it was still around 65o F.

Checked the memory card from the camera this morning.  :roll: >:( :tickedoff  The very first pictue of a deer that was on it was this beast!

He must have just been passing through and/or cruising for does because in close to a month and over 1,200 pictures that were on the card, that's the only time I caught him on the camera.  Had plenty of pictures of coons though!  >:(

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Nice going on the deer, BC! And ya pistol shot him!
Too bad about feeling lousy, fella. You feeling better, I hope!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Hooks

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »
Something about opening day...

Ours here was yesterday as well.  I have to work all weekend, 12 hour shifts leaves no time to hunt.   First opening day of General Firearms I've missed in 14 years.

Congrats on the buck.  Details on the pistol?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Details on the pistol?

S&W model 29 in .44 mag with an 8 3/8" barrel, mounted with a 2X Leupold scope.  Was using Federal 300 gr Castcore loads.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
I can see you read my book too! :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Way to go "Dirty BC"!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
you took a deer with a revovler mounted with a scope???  thats insanity, but really awesome... congrats!
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
Next is a sharp stick huh BC! O0 ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
Actually, I wasn't real happy with the bullet this time around.  >:(  I shot one a few years ago with the same setup and watched the bullet smack into the deer.  It about knocked the critter down on his side!  O0 :twisted:  This go around though, I saw the deer kick both back legs, take 4-5 hops and then start walking off slowly.  ???  Saw him stumble a little while he was walking off, so I didn't figure he was going to be going very far.  After waiting around 20 minutes or so, I got up and walked over to find him laying in the last place I'd seen him.  O0  During the "autopsy", I found out "why" the deer didn't take off like a scalded dog.

While skinning, I noticed that the exit hole was right at .44 cal in size.  :tickedoff  I had slipped between the ribs on both sides, only hitting soft tissue all the way through.  Those 300 gr. Castcore bullets are some really hard lead.  When they hit something solid, they smash right on through it and mushroom quite nicely.  Soft tissue, not so much though.  I took out both lungs, but there wasn't any expansion.  :tickedoff

After this one, I don't think I'm going to use those loads any more on deer.  Hogs, bear, elk, sasquatch, yes........  But deer, no.  I've got a little .44 carbine, so I've been wanting to check into the Hornady Lever Evolution loads for it.  May as well see how they do in the pistol also.  O0  They're freaking awesome in the .444 Marlin.  :twisted:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Next is a sharp stick huh BC! O0 ;D

Don't think that I haven't thought about it.  :wink:  I can take them with a "sharp stick" traveling around 300 f.p.s.  O0  Now if I can just get one close enough to STAB with a spear.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
Keep up the good work and you might become eligible for membership in the "The Greater Juan Society of America and the Outer Hebrides" :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :wink:

The man who gets the "Juan of the Year Award" gets an all expense paid trip to Long Island to spend the night in Juan's backyard while Nutz sings "Boxcar Willie's Greatest Hit's in Mandarin Chinese!"
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments