November 20, 2017, 12:28:26 PM

Author Topic: got my 270's scope remounted  (Read 831 times)

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
got my 270's scope remounted
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »
It had see through mounts so you could use the open sights also. And pretty much mad neither a good option. So i it mounted low to the barrel and had the sights removed. So i think it will be nice now. Just need to sight it in this weekend and i will be good to go.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: got my 270's scope remounted
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »
Yeah, those see through mounts are nice but too high above the bore. Closer to the bore is better but I can see the attraction of the see through mounts.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »
You know it's funny how things go in cycles. Back in the 70's if you had a scope on your rifle you had it on see through mounts. That's just the way it was. Today you rarely see the see through mounts anymore.

I had them on my BAR and used it a few times, but then just started using lower magnification and it worked even better. Back then the reason behind using them was if the shot was close in or if you had to shoot at a running target.

Well we learned to not shoot at running targets if at all possible and even if the deer was close we found the scope was still a good thing to use.

I like low mounts on my rifles too, but I won't take off the sights. A few years back a buddy had a scope on his Marlin 1895 and mounted a low scope on it and removed the front sights.

He went hunting out of state dropped the rifle and messed up his scope and had to remove it. But then he had no sights and had to borrow a rifle from someone else and wound up missing a shot on a big bear, because he really didn't know the rifle that well.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:46 AM »
With some front sights, it's a must to remove it because the front sight blocks some of the view of the scope.
Using a higher mount of the scope could prevent that so as to allow the iron sights to remain on the gun. But then we are back to having the crosshairs high above the bore.  :sad:
That fella that had to borrow a rifle and missed the bear must have had a major bummer of a day!  :sad:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
With higher mounts, you have to raise your cheek up off the stock, which affects accuracy.  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
Well got the 270 sighted in at a hundred. The final 2 shots i did at that range are both in the center of the target which is an inch and a half circle so i am getting 1 inch groups which should be fine for hunting.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

BBF

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
 Anytime, and I mean anytime I hunt further then a 1/2 day trip from home there is a spare rifle( 1st choice) or a spare sighted in scope on rings with me if at all possible. :wink:

Facebook Comments