November 20, 2017, 10:12:27 AM

Author Topic: Carrying Pistol  (Read 1730 times)

Offline haglersp

Carrying Pistol
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »
Im going to be carrying my 1911 .45 with me hunting this season and was wondering what would be the best way to carry it during cold weather? s

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Carrying Pistol
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
i would say either in your hand or in a holster
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline haglersp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »
duh. way to be helpful. not. what kind of holster? seemed pretty obvious to me but i guess not.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
I like the WWII type tanker holster for carrying a pistol while hunting.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
duh. way to be helpful. not. what kind of holster? seemed pretty obvious to me but i guess not.
oh lighten the hell up...

i donno what it is accually called, i am sure they got a big name for it, but it basically puts the weapon in front and higher up on your body, its accessable but out of the way. or go for the standard shoulder holster, just wear it on the outside of the jacket/hunting clothes
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »
What are you looking to do with the pistol?  That's going to dictate how you carry it.

If it's going to be for protection, then use a general carry holster.  Something that you can put on your belt on your strong side.  If you're looking to possibly bust a critter with it while stand hunting, then anything will do.

The .44 mag I carry for hunting, I keep it in a holster in my backpack.  When bowhunting though, I carry a .38 for protection in a belt holster on my strong side.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:43:15 PM »
To continue on what BC was saying; if the gun is for protection and you are going to be moving around more than sitting still, then you might want to consider something that allows you to carry it cocked and locked, like a Desantis or Bianchi.

These type holsters are perfect for the 1911, because the gun is cocked with the hammer back, but it's also got a strap to protect it from you falling down and having the gun discharge by accident.

If the gun is to be your hunting weapon, and you are hunting from a stand or blind, then you might want to consider a holster that acts more as a protectant to the weapon. This means it basically covers the gun with a flap and keeps you from scratching it up or dropping it if you fall down. When you get to your stand, then you can load it and keep it in your hands until you have something to shoot at.

If you are using it as a hunting weapon and you are going to be moving around a lot, then it's best to keep it in your hands as Morax stated, and pretty much any belt clip holster will suffice, since you'll not be needing a holster once you start hunting. If you kill one in this fashion, you can still safely carry the gun and drag the deer back without much effort.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline haglersp

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
i am going to be carrying it for protection mainly while squirrel hunting. down here in texas, everywhere there are squirrels, there are hogs too. i was just concerned that if i carried it on my belt that i wouldn't be able to get to it very quickly while wearing my big jacket.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:17:23 AM »
I didn't think people in Texas wore jackets, especially big ones.  ???

;D ;D

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
In that case I'd carry it cocked and locked. Hard to beat the Desantis and Bianchi for that.

Leather will set you back more than tactical nylon, (web gear) and looks nicer imho, but the tactical nylon will last longer and you can wear it in all types of weather and it can take a pounding.

I actually still have one that I bought in 1989 for a S&W 9mm and I've worn it here and in Afghanistan and it still looks great and works perfect.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments