October 18, 2017, 06:19:50 PM

Author Topic: No more deer hunting for me this year  (Read 568 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
No more deer hunting for me this year
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
 :DNormally we start working the coyotes the day after big game hunting season which is next Monday. There still used to lots of trucks and people running around and don't spook out as easy. We did a deer trip yesterday  and saw 13 coyotes running around while we hunted. We saw lots of doe and small bucks and only two bucks I was interested in. I would rather eat my tag than shoot some little dink peanut head. With that said there was a big two point I very nearly put in the truck. He was at the end of the hunt and was CLOSE to the road with an all down hill drag. We stopped and looked at him and decided to pass when he stood up and started to hobble away,yup some one had blasted him in the shoulder and didn't retrieve him. I got back out and tried to get a shot but he would not cooperate. He did stand broad side for a second but there was a doe right beside him and I was not willing to risk shooting two. I was shooting my 870 with a 1 1/4 oz slug and he was under 100 yards but I didn't attempt it, to bad for the deer. I could have given him away to some one who would appreciated the meat. The other two BIG bucks just didn't go the way we had hoped and I never got a shot, It looks like I'm finished with deer now we can concentrate on the dogs. One advantage with using a bird gun on deer is ,well the bird gun. We scored on a fat Pheasant and a sharp tail.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: No more deer hunting for me this year
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Well, at least you brought home supper.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »

WHAT? YOU MEAN YOU EAT THEM????

Given to a hungry family
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Yep on that! Nice birds, D45!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments