December 16, 2017, 10:03:39 AM

Author Topic: Hunting with dogs.  (Read 1779 times)

Offline kengif

Hunting with dogs.
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
So I just recently moved to North Carolina from Arizona. I am all for hunting what ever way is legal but running deer with dogs seems crazy. I was on a public piece of land and I had dogs running back and forth all morning. When I walked out there were trucks on all the roads with men in orange standing by them holding shotguns. I stopped and talked to one just to find the ins and outs of his style of hunting, he wasn't thrilled to talk with me at all. Can anyone explain to me how it works and doesn't the piece of land become vacant of deer once the dogs run through? Sorry for my ignorance.

Ken

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Re: Hunting with dogs.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »
Can't hunt deer with dogs here in illinois, but I would be the first one if we could. Usually you cut dogs loose and wait for the deer to be pushed out of the timber. You put shooters in possible locations the deer will show up in hopes of killing one. A lot of guys don't like the idea of pushing deer with dogs and that's fine... I would love to do it!! It would be even better with bay and catch dogs like hog hunting O0

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
I grew up doing it in southeast Va. Tech has the jist of it correct. But to be honest a pack of dogs running deer thru a block of woods doesn't mean that all the deer are scared away. The other deer in the area learn to hold tight and wait it out. I have even killed deer still hunting over a bean field or food plot just hours after the club has driven the dogs thru a block.

If you decide to still hunt in a dog hunting county you just have to learn to live with it. If you have a friend that does it and is a member of a dog hunting club. When it is done correctly and legal it is an exciting way to hunt. How much skill does it take to shoot a deer standing atill at a hundred yards with todays rifels??? Now try hittin gone runnig flat out when it bust across a path that it can clear with one jump.....good luck. ;D

I usually have had enough still hunting by Christmas and make a trip back to my old club in Va. for the last few days to hunt with dogs. Fun stuff if done right.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
What BS said.

No the deer are not run off the property because they are not hunted nearly as hard as people hunt without dogs.

Dog hunting in the south has it's roots going back before this was even a country. You hunt as a group. It's a team effort with standers, dogs and dog handlers.

Most places today that are used for dog hunting are private leased property. It's not uncommon to see 10,000+ acres leased to a dog club. with membership in clubs being around 40 or 50 paying members with guests and family members allowed .

You don't hunt every day or even every week in most clubs. Hunts are managed and you find out before the season opens when hunts are scheduled, so you can pick out the dates you can hunt.

This also guarantees the deer won't be pushed too hard and remain on the property for the season.

Here in Georgia the season opens in mid-October and runs to mid-January so you have a long season and don't have to hunt every day. Hunts are usually on weekends with some scheduled during the week to help those who have to work on weekends.

Many clubs are institutions that have been around since the 1940's. The club I used to belong to had a big clubhouse that we stayed in with color tv, indoor hot showers and toilets and we even had a hired cooking staff to come in and make breakfast lunch and dinner for us.

Of course with this much land and the fact you use dogs, makes this type of deer hunting more expensive than most other types.

Hunts are usually set up by a huntmaster and hunters draw lots to determine where they will be standing. For safety and because of the thick close cover that is hunted, shotguns only are allowed with buckshot, no slugs allowed. You may be 75-100 yards away from other hunters, so high power rifles can't be used.

Even with hunters that close, the land you hunt is  so thick with brush and trees and very often swampy water, you would never know you were that close to another hunter. Safety is paramount and you stay put until an assigned member of the club comes and gets you.

You hunt one spot in the morning and another in the afternoon after lunch. Hunts generally last around 4 to 5 hours and you need to stay on your toes at all times because deer will try and sneak by you if they can. You hunt on the ground in this type of hunting and leave your treestands at home. It's too thick to treestand hunt in most areas anyway. The areas in the south you hunt have the added bonus of shooting a wild hog, bobcat, fox or even coyote.

Hunters are usually put out in a U-shape with the dogs being turned out in the open part of the U, or the hunters are put in an O shape with dogs in the middle and turned loose. You're looking at several miles of hunting area with 40-50 hunters so it's not a turkey shoot by any stretch of the imagination.

Here in Georgia more deer are killed in non-dog hunting counties than in counties that allow them. That's how it is in all dog hunting states. The dogs used are a mix lot, with beagles being very popular here along with walkers, redbones, blueticks and plotts.

Dog hunting is only legal in south Georgia, and I grew up in the northern part of of the state, and as a kid thought using dogs was cruel and should be banned. But then I went on my first dog hunt and was hooked. If I could only hunt one way it would be with dogs.

Dog hunters haven't forgotten what hunting is all about. Hunting should be about enjoying the outdoors and the fellowship and the cammeraderie that comes with it. The LAST thing hunting is about is killing. Unfortunately that's what many people only care about these days. They only care about killing a big deer and having something to brag about to their friends.

In the south we've seen attacks on dog hunting not from the anti hunters, but from hunters who want to lease up all the land, plant all kinds of crops to grow their deer like cattle and then go out in their enclosed 30 foot treestands and with a .340 Weatherby magnum and 20X scope, shoot an animal that weighs less than 140 pounds. Yea, that's real sporting.

Here at Gut Pile we support ALL hunting that is legal in the part of the country you hunt in. It's a sad and pathetic message we send to younger people when we say it's all about the killing and if you don't hunt my way, you're wrong.

Great thing about Gut Pile is folks who come here with that kind of attitude, don't last long!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

BTW....

We should have one of our pacman guys being shown kicking another ones butt, so we can put that up to emphasize the point! O0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:04:25 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
Most of what bo just said applies to why I like coonhunting. The best part about it is I get to go out and enjoy working with a dog. I am one of those guys that if my dog trees an honest to goodness den... I'm happy as can be. Wether it be a drianage pipe, tree, rock pile... what ever the coon calls home is fine with me. I have a full time job and try not to over extend myself with spending so racking up the hide for income is not needed. I think it would be cool to own and work a deer pack to hunt deer. I could care less about killing a deer. Thiis also brings me to why I don't put a premium on deer hunting. It is done, to me, for food and a reason to get out. If I shot a monster buck. I would keep the antlers for a keepsake and eat the meet. Spending 200+ on a mount is not what its about for me.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
BTW....

We should have one of our pacman guys being shown kicking another ones butt, so we can put that up to emphasize the point! O0

Take your pick.  O0

And my personal favorite.....

As for the dogs Ken, hunting with dogs of any kind really isn't about the "hunting" part.  It's the pleasure of working and/or listening to a dog that gets people's blood pumping.  O0  With some types of hunting, such as birds or rabbits, the dogs are a great help and make the actual hunting easier.  With other types though, such as deer or squirrels, a dog isn't really necessary, but makes the hunting experience something different.

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »
Everywhere I've lived dog hunting has been illegal. Therefore I came to think of it as unsporting or evil. But being a bit on the "i'll stay out of your biz, you stay outta mine" side of things, and knowing I didn't have all the details, I've kept my opinions to myself.
 Now thanks to Bo, I understand the sport a bit better and can think of it as a sport. Sound like something I'd try.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
Take your pick.  O0

And my personal favorite.....

As for the dogs Ken, hunting with dogs of any kind really isn't about the "hunting" part.  It's the pleasure of working and/or listening to a dog that gets people's blood pumping.  O0  With some types of hunting, such as birds or rabbits, the dogs are a great help and make the actual hunting easier.  With other types though, such as deer or squirrels, a dog isn't really necessary, but makes the hunting experience something different.

HOW DO I GET THEM TO COME UP???
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
They show up fine for me.  ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Funny pacmans!

A lot of hunting would be pretty poor without dogs.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments