December 17, 2017, 07:05:54 AM

Author Topic: Coyote Huntin  (Read 1770 times)

Offline sloth

Coyote Huntin
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:52:14 PM »
I have been coyote huntin for some time now and have only had one coyote come in on a dying rabbit call.  Maybe I am doing something wrong though i have only been huntin them for about a month.  He came up on me like a bat out of hell.  They can book about 40mph.  He came out of my blind spot about 10 yards from me and took off in the woods so i took off after him and ran in there hopin i could scare him out to a friend of mine.  If you have any tips reply.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 07:26:14 PM by sloth »

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
Re: Coyote Huntin
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 07:11:49 PM »
try sittin in one spot with the call blasting on high then when a dog dosent come in you move but be careful of when you move. your bud..
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
If it is legal where you are use live bait. Try putting a rabbit into a cage (tied off to a tree) and letting it sit there though the day, to remove scents. Then about dusk hit your dying rabbit caller. Start off on medium pitch then slowly decrease the sounds. You should have the yotes coming in to invesigate the scent of the live rabbit-and the sound of it dying. If you are hunting from the ground just be sure to use good cover scent and don't move to take your shot until they get interested in the rabbit.

ps. a chicken works well in place of the rabbit...and if you use a rooster you don't need a caller, just patience..LOL

LadyT
Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 08:40:19 AM »
i had some meat that went bad,mamma took it out of the freezer and forgot it for a week,so i cut it into smal lchunks and spred it out in front of my sittin spot.called in a yote and he poked around finding it till i got a very nice shot and drove a port orford cedar shaft threw his boiler room.doesn't  take much scraps to get their nose on the ground. i got my first one nearly two weeks earlier. a lucky shot as he was moving pretty fast. still,,,, a dead yote is a dead yote!

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:50:52 PM »
hahahaha justin couldnt hit the broad side of a barn
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline shadow

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 01:09:33 PM »
I got my first coyote on 02/05/05 at 6:01am with my Car15. Hit him in the ear. I saw two yotes during deer season running together along the fence line. One would continually go in and out of the hedge row hunting. When they came to where two hedge rows came together one went into the brush and when the other went in I heard a yelp. The first one was a female and apparently was done with the him for the night. I watched the male run off and went to check the hedge row. Sure enough she had a den there. When I finally got a 5 round clip for my Car15, I set his horny ass up. I layed down next to a hickory nut tree at 5:00am and fell asleep for an hour. When I woke up there they were both heading back to her den like before. I put one in his ear and the female never looked back, she hauled it to her den ASAP. I'm nursing an old back injury now, but hope to get her by the end of march. Most people I know hunt them at night with calls and carrion, but if you can find their dens, man it's a duck shoot !!
Happiness is: A warm gun

Facebook Comments