November 20, 2017, 10:27:02 AM

Author Topic: Anyone ever shoot one of these?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Anyone ever shoot one of these?
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:03:43 AM »
Since the crows have been landing farther and farther from the house, the .17 HMR just doesn't instill the fear in these birds that it once did. I have decided to ratchet up the arms race and today purchased this new toy in .223 caliber. It is a CVA Optima Elite with a Bushnell 24x scope riding on Durasight scope mounts. I am laid up right now with my shoulder in a sling, and may not get a chance to sight it in for quite some time. What kind of groups can I expect from this? The trigger doesn't feel the best in the world, but it is consistant. The crows have laughed at me too long. :twisted:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone ever shoot one of these?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »
Guess that'll teach you to smart off to the wife, huh?  :roll: ;D

I haven't shot it yet, but I've got one of the CVA Optima Elite's that I got off my brother.  I was needing something for the boy to deer hunt with, and he had gotten this one.  It has a .50 cal muzzleloading barrel on it, and came with a .243 Win barrel still in the package.

From what I've heard about them, the Berga barrels are supposed to be top-notch, so it should be a shooter.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »
  O0 Should be a shooter, ellwood. I've never shot one of those, though.
You had surgery on your shoulder? I hope you get well soon!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
Guess that'll teach you to smart off to the wife, huh?

No, I was attempting a left-hand, back-hand on her and she ducked. Guess when I get healed, she'll get a double dose. :knuppel2

I just had an MRI Friday, so I'll probably find out about Monday/Tuesday what my fate is. Due to my stick-shift, I'll have to get the ol' lady to take me everywhere. I told her not to get to cocky though, I still got one good arm and I'm right-handed
  I may not be able to wait for healing before trying the gun out. Just sitting here looking at it is about to kill me.
(\__/)
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
No, I was attempting a left-hand, back-hand on her and she ducked. Guess when I get healed, she'll get a double dose. :knuppel2

Yeah, right.  :roll: :roll: :roll:  We all know what happened.....

As for the gun though, It's always good to stay in practice shooting with your "off" hand.  O0  Might be a good time to get in some practice doing that.  :wink:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
Just found out today I've got a torn rotator cuff tendon. Gonna see an orthopedist on the 16th to get a plan of action. I gave the gun to a buddy, who's a real AR and .223 nut. He was salivating over the gun and really wanted to break the barrel in, get it sighted, and work up a good handload for me. What'r friends for, right.? damn these are bad times. this is the first time I've ever let anyone else get a "gun cherry" :'(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:35:23 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Go easy there Elljuan, a rotator cuff is serious.

In my younger, younger, younger days, I knew several guys who'd torn their rotator cuff playing baseball, football, basketball and wrestling.

It's a bear to rehab and these were some tough guys and they hated the experience. In the future, be a good househusband like BC and just do whatever she says! :twisted: :roll: :wink:

I love single shots and own a few, but none by CVA. the 5.56 is a great round and hopefully your amigo can come up with some serious medicine for them crows! O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Well said, bo! I especially like what you said about BC!  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Well said, bo! I especially like what you said about BC!  ;D

You ain't got no room to talk there nursemaid.  :roll:

Which shoulder is messed up Ellwood?  I've had my right shoulder cut on because of a rotator cuff tear.  You learn just how much you take for granted having 2 hands when 1 whole arm is disabled.  Getting something out of the fridge normally takes 2 hands, 1 to open the fridge, the other to grab what you want.  Not to mention, trying to put deodorant on when you can't raise your arm.  And don't even get me started about having to wipe with "the wrong hand" after taking a dump.  >:(

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »
 :roll: Brown hand!

Facebook Comments