October 19, 2017, 01:40:53 AM

Author Topic: Food Plots??  (Read 893 times)

Offline Carl77

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Food Plots??
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
Alright I was thinking about putting out a couple plots next year, but I wanted to know who has haf the best success with what brand and what plants. Thanks for taking some time to either help or build a grudge because your against food plots :roll:
Fred Bear Lights Out
70/30
31" Quick Strike Arrows
Carbon Express 100 gr. 3 Blades
Trophy Ridge Acc.

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Food Plots??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Peas man! thats the best. Chuffa if your ground is right too.
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
Kinda depends upon where you're at, what kind of stuff you can plant.  For an all around good plot, you can't beat just plain old white clover.  O0  Once you get it established, it won't take much maintenance to keep it going each year.

As for annuals, look into the peas, brassica, and chickory.  Soy beans are good to, but they can't stand up to constant browsing by deer.  If you're going after turkeys, look into the chufa.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
To repeat what BC said. Where in the country are you?

We've got about dozen acres planted on my club of perennials and annuals. Let me know where you are and we can be a little more specific on what will work best in your neck of the woods.

If you're interested in doing this, now is the time to start preparing.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Carl77

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:21:53 PM »
Central Illinois is where i'm located. I'm surrounded by corn and soybeans if that helps?!?!!
Fred Bear Lights Out
70/30
31" Quick Strike Arrows
Trophy Ridge Acc.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »
Try some brassica, chickory, and peas.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
What BC said and also consider some forage oats too. Know a guy in southern Illinois that has had great luck with oats. Because of your location you want to make sure you have something that can stand up to those cold Illinois winters and will get the deer through those cold months. The need for the deer to not only get protein, but digestable protein that converts into energy is essential year round but more so during the winter and pre/post fawning periods.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »
Before I forget...

I don't know how much land you intend to plant as plots, but you might consider putting some of it as perennials and other as annual plantings. If you place a wire fence around say 2 foot area in the different plantings you have to keep deer out of those wired off spots, you'll be able to see what the deer prefer and will allow you to plant accordingly in the future.

Don't skip on fertilizer and make sure your soil has the proper ph, which can be done at your county extension office. They do it free here, but I doubt if it's more than a few dollars if they were to charge you for it.

Lastly....

You might also want to check with the feed stores in your general area and find out what other guys are planting. Sometimes this is a great idea, but I also know of one guy who went out and bought stuff that was next to useless based on his talk with the feed store guy! :shock: :tickedoff :tickedoff
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:13:50 PM by bohicajuan »

Offline Carl77

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:30 PM »
At one farm I could only plant roughly a 40 x 40 ft area and at the other farm almost any size. Are there any of those 'antler king' or 'rack growers' good or strictly feed you would get at a feed barn? Also would I be tilling at all? Not a problem and also will I have much routine maintenance? O0
Fred Bear Lights Out
70/30
31" Quick Strike Arrows
Trophy Ridge Acc.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
Since it's a relatively small area you'll be doing, if you've got just a regular garden roto-tiller, that will be enough to break the ground up.  If you can't get the tiller in there, take a leaf rake and rake all of the leaves out of the area, and then take a garden rake and scratch the ground up good.  Broadcast your seeds in there and then take the back side of the garden rake to slightly cover the seeds.

The thing to remember is that the smaller the seed, the shallower it needs to be planted.  Larger seeds are planted deeper than smaller ones.

Since it's a small area, I'd just put in regular white clover and chickory.  The white clover is a perrenial (year after year), so once you get it established, routine maintenance will be just overseeding each year and getting rid of the weeds that may pop up.  Annuals have to be replanted each year and can get kinda costly.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments