November 18, 2017, 12:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Strawberry wasn't too bad!  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Strawberry wasn't too bad!
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
Fished the berry all day friday.  the weather was god awful.  the wind was blowing so hard we were barely able to set up the tent.  by the way 2 guys with two pole permits and one guy with out one don't fit real well in a QF3.  luckily we had a heater to help keep it warm.  anyways, the fishin was slow then hot all day long.  because of the weather none of us felt like moving, so we just stayed in the same spot the whole time.  it was pretty productive for 2 of the 3 of us.  i've decided that the fish in the berry have either an extremely hard mouth making the hook hard to set or are really good at holding the bait and fighting all the way to the hole then letting go.  I ended up with two through the hole, one slot cutt and one just under had 3 other takers that got away before they got through, my buddy zach got a big bow on the ice and a small cutt, my buddy troy didn't even get a bite  :lol: .  Zach caught one of the fattest biggest cuts i've ever seen, and just as it's head came out of the water the hook came out of his mouth, i said grab it and he was too slow...  the hog couldn't even turn around in the hole he was so big.  sorry i didn't take more pics.  this was my 14 7/8ths inch cut...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:03:34 PM by Duneman101 »
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Strawberry wasn't too bad!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
Way to go! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

I'd have probably fallen through the ice or something if I was there. Never have caught a cut throat and since I'm getting older, I probably never will make it out west again. So I'm boned! :'( :'( :'(

I have a hard enough time getting out of bed and coming to work. :idiot2 :idiot2 :buck2 :buck2

Our trout season starts next month and it's about 90% put and take here. Trout just don't get that big this far south. But if you keep posting them pictures it will motivate me to at least get out and go after them when the season opens up!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »
You'll probably look like you stepped straight out of an LL Bean catalog.  :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
Bo, feel free to come out anytime and we'll go catch some cutts!  i'm going back to the berry soon so you should see some more trout pics soon. 

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Great day, Dune! The best trout fishing day of my life was at Strawberry. I took along my youngest brother and we fished with a good pal of mine ( Dean Babcock) from Provo.
I remember the water probably averaged 35 feet depth where we fished from the boat. We were using corn for bait. We caught cutts and rainbows that all were well in the mid 20 inch and bigger range. What a day!

Dean was that guy that was found murdered at Strawberry years ago, was shotgunned. I don't know if they ever solved his murder, or not.  :sad: Suspicion was, it was his inlaws that killed him.His dad (Hyram) was assistant dean at BYU for years when I worked, fished, and hunted with Dean.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:27:46 PM »
You'll probably look like you stepped straight out of an LL Bean catalog.  :roll:

Of course!!!!!!

As we all know, it's got nothing to do with actually putting forth the effort to catch a fish. It's all about the image. We must look cool at all times and we must  always have the most expensive clothes and the most expensive rods and reels that money can buy.

Then at the end of the year I can go to the "most expensive fishing club in the world" banquet and talk about all the fiberglass mounts that I have at my house. I'll talk about the number of record book fish I've taken on light line and 2lb tippits.

I'll proudly show off my 6 piece custom made bamboo fly rod, made just for me and it even has my name on it. I'll have the ultra light titanium reel that I used when I caught the 50lb Peacock bass in the Amazon river, while living on a custom made river boat where they gave me the most expensive alcoholic beverages known to man.

I also wore those special made clothes for fishing in south america, that contain 100% sunblock woven into the fabric of the cloth that also guarantees I won't ever sweat while wearing it.

Now I'm planning my next fishing expedition to the planet Mars.

Since they've discovered water there, it's got to mean they have fish there too.

At this very moment NASA is making me a space fishing suit and a space fishing rod and reel. I can't wait to make the cover of "Outter Space Angler" Because as we all know, that's what fishing is all about.
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:42:11 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the invite Dune. I'd like to take you up on it before I'm too old to even throw a line anymore!! :D ;D :wink: O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Don't forget the ascot, bo!
We caught and released our limit and then caught and kept our limit my 11 that morning at Strawberry.  :) :) :)
Some of what we caught were hybred cutt/rainbows, my pal Dean said at the time.
Brother and I had great fishing in the Provo River and down towards Richland at Fish Lake, too. We slept under the stars at fish Lake and spent a week in Richland when my car broke down. Except for the very expensive car breakdown, that was another great vacation in Utah.
Dune, how far do you live from Strawberry?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:13:44 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »
you must be talking about richfield John, but thats really cool.  i've been wanting to hit fish lake all year, they pulled a 46 lb laker through the ice last year.  strawberry is about 80 miles from me. give or take, mostly highway though, so it go pretty fast.  the provo is really becoming a place for monster trout, but they are revegitating the banks making is a place for fly fisherman only...

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
you must be talking about richfield John, but thats really cool.  i've been wanting to hit fish lake all year, they pulled a 46 lb laker through the ice last year.  strawberry is about 80 miles from me. give or take, mostly highway though, so it go pretty fast.  the provo is really becoming a place for monster trout, but they are revegitating the banks making is a place for fly fisherman only...
Yeah, it was Richfield, was back in '68. Dang timing chain and timing gear was going out of the car. I just barely managed to limp the car into town.
We didn't catch fish at fish Lake like we did at Strawberry, but it was still great fun, of course.
fishing the Provo River was great fun, really wild trout. You have to really work for the fish in the Provo.  :)

Facebook Comments