November 23, 2017, 10:37:33 PM

Author Topic: Bow hunting...curious  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Skulls10310

Bow hunting...curious
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
Hey y'all. I am getting pretty interested in bow hunting. I have a few questions for y'all. Firstly, I'm gonna be getting a recurve bow and I'm not sure what draw strength I should get. I have a strong (athletic) upper body. I don't know if my height and weight got anything to do with bow size.  What draw strength do y'all suggest for me? I also need to know the best arrow heads for deer and elk hunting... any ideas? Any advice on bow hunting and bows y'all could give me would be down right helpful. Thanks

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Re: Bow hunting...curious
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
What is your states poundage minimum? After you find that out get one with a minimum of that. Obviously higher than the minimum is ok.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
i was gonna say the same thing techo stated, depending on your state or the state you plan on using it, is what depends the draw weight, being athetic and being able to draw hold a bow is two different animals also...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »
I went back to shooting a recurve years ago because I got tired of all the extra junk they were doing to compound bows. But, like Techno and Morax said, you need to first find out what the minimum poundage is in your state to hunt with.

With a recurve your shooting style will be different than that of compound bow users.

You'll be pulling and then anchoring for a split second before letting go. This is called instinctive shooting as is one of many areas that traditional hunters differ from compound users. This will play a part on the length of the draw you'll be using as well.

The good news is that traditional bow hunting is real fun. The bad news is that most people don't do it anymore.

Before going any further you might want to check out a couple of books that are specifically for traditional archers. One is called "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson.

Another good book is called "Instinctive Shooting" by G. Fred Asbell. There are two volumes of that book and I suggest volume 1 to start off with.

You can find these books along with others and videos at www.3riversarchery.com

The best way of getting in shape is to shoot the bow. I've got a few weight lifting programs I use and will gladly pass them on after you find out a little more about your area and you can be a little more specific on your wants and desires.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
The best way of getting in shape is to shoot the bow. I've got a few weight lifting programs I use and will gladly pass them on after you find out a little more about your area and you can be a little more specific on your wants and desires.

trying so hard not to say anything  :-X :-X :-X :-X
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
trying so hard not to say anything  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Get your mind out of the gutter......

It's liable to run over mine.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »
Get your mind out of the gutter......

It's liable to run over mine.
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments