November 20, 2017, 07:40:13 PM

Author Topic: mini 14 tactical  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Sniper81

• Rookie Club Member
mini 14 tactical
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »
got one of these yesterday,have a couple questions,now i know about the accuracy problems of the old models,these newer ones are supposed to 2incher at 100yds was wondering if anyone has the this one or one of the new ones and how does it shoot and what ammo seems to work the best,also there is a recoil buffer for these on midway usa, does anyone use one of these or are they not necessary

Offline mrjimsfc

• Applied for my club membership...
Re: mini 14 tactical
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
I have a 1976 (bicentenial) model Mini 14 that has always shot sub MOA at a hundred yards.  Like they say, "it's not the arrow, it's the indian". :roll:
         'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.'  ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
I have a 1976 (bicentenial) model Mini 14 that has always shot sub MOA at a hundred yards.  Like they say, "it's not the arrow, it's the indian". :roll:
  O0 :) I like that quote!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
I've got the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.  Haven't searched the serial number to see what year it is though.  Usually, it's the 55 grain that it likes best, but it will shoot some heavier stuff pretty decent as well.  Got a folding tactical stock on it with some 30 and 40 round magazines.  :twisted:  It's fun to play with, but I haven't hunted with it yet.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
I've got the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.  Haven't searched the serial number to see what year it is though.  Usually, it's the 55 grain that it likes best, but it will shoot some heavier stuff pretty decent as well.  Got a folding tactical stock on it with some 30 and 40 round magazines.  :twisted:  It's fun to play with, but I haven't hunted with it yet.
  O0 Nice rifle! It shoots a pretty good group, huh?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:29:48 AM »
Not bad.  It's been a while since I had it out, so I can't remember exactly how tight it was.  The trigger needs a little work done on it to make it even better though.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:07:23 PM »
Newer Mini 14's should have the serial number starting with 580 or 581, the newer 580 & 581 series Rugers are from the re-tooled shop, have heavier barrels and tighter tolerances.

I purchased mine used and the seller told me it was "dead on" and I thought to myself "all sellers say this"... First live target I found was deceased after the first shot. Since it has taken quite a few critters and I still have not tried it on paper.
Life is short, shorter for some than others...
https://www.facebook.com/MossyMO

Facebook Comments