October 21, 2017, 06:30:31 AM

Author Topic: Made some sausages!  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Made some sausages!
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
Friday night was a real blast, NOT!  I decided to make some sausages, jerky and smoke some trout, not smart all in one night!   :roll:

Anyways, I made about 30 lbs of fresh italian sausage from my deer, it turned out damn good, i have an older style of sausage stuffer so that was tricky, but luckily i had a buddy there to help me out.  I used my kitchen aid grinder attachment for the first time, and i have to say i was seriuosly impressed with it.

Since this was my first attempt at sausage by myself, without the supervision of my stepdad who is a pro.  I just used the hi mountain italian sausage kit, and left the cure out of it, because i didn't plan on smoking any of it.  when doing sausage or jerky, hi mountain is the way to go, the sausage kit came with the seasoning, cure, and casings.  all i had to do was add deer and pork butt. 

i also made a few pounds of jerky and smoked a few trout. 

the freezer is now full, i took a bunch of duck out of the fridge to smoke, any suggestions for a brine???

i wasn't real good at getting consistent length and girth till the last 15 lbs.

here are the trout, the skin peeled right off and the meat flaked right off the bone, i used a brown sugar rosemary brine and smoked with Mesquite wood chips, the fish tastes just like jerky, it was pretty damn good for my first attempt at smoking fish.

Only dead fish swim with the current!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Made some sausages!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 You done good, Dune!

I've smoked a lot of fish in the past, haven't smoked any for some years . I used to smoke carp, buffalo, and catfish.

We used to butcher hogs at home and make our own stuffed sausage. The old stuffers work good but it is hard to retain same diameter sausage.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »
Reminds me, I gotta get back to my summer sausage experiments.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »
Reminds me, I gotta get back to my summer sausage experiments.

Thats my next plan! 

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
Looking good! O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
Where is our samples huh?  :knuppel2 ;D ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
The last time i made sausage back in April, i made 24 lbs and we just finished the last one.  So i made more sausage friday night.  Luckily i had my bro inlaw around to help with this batch.  We punched out 20 lbs in 3 hours, i have it down to a science these days.  I usually use about 2/3 pork butt to 1/3 lean deer, but this time i decided to make them meatier and went 1/2 and 1/2 i wasn't dissappointed.  I made italian sausage, red wine, cheesers, and beer brats, i have about 5 lbs of each.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »
Looks right tastey!  O0

That feller holding the tray is pretty scary looking though.  :o 

So where's the free samples?  :knuppel2
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
Looks right tastey!  O0

That feller holding the tray is pretty scary looking though.  :o 

So where's the free samples?  :knuppel2
Yeah!

You using regular hog casings, Dune?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
Yeah!

You using regular hog casings, Dune?

Yeah, i don't like the artificial or collagen casings, they just taste off to me especially when grilled.  hog casings do smell like ass though, thats for sure.

Facebook Comments