December 16, 2017, 02:08:40 AM

Author Topic: Best Turkey Season EVER!  (Read 1522 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Best Turkey Season EVER!
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
And I haven't even killed one yet! ;D ;D

Until last Saturday I hadn't even picked up a call, let alone gone hunting. I just wasn't feeling it you know?

Last Tuesday got a call from a buddy who I had met after I got back from Afghanistan who had been there the same time I was although we'd never met before coming back home. Turned out he was a cop too and we'd talked a bunch about getting together with other guys who'd served over there and do a little hunting-fishing-shooting or whatever. Problem was we couldn't ever get our schedules to work.

OK so he calls me to tell me that he's got 5 young guys who were from the middle/south Georgia area that had been wounded in combat and he along with a few others were going to take them turkey hunting. He asked if I could come down and be one of the guides and do some calling. I told him I'd love to come down and help out but I wasn't to sure my calling was up to snuff. He said that was cool and we'd work something out. So I left work early last Friday and headed down.

I brought all my turkey hunting gear including 3 shotguns and every piece of camo I could find. Went out and bought a new decoy to see if anybody wanted to use it along with my older one. Well I get there and meet the guys. We had 3 marines and 2 soldiers and they were all under 26 years of age. 4 had suffered leg amputations and 1 had lost his left arm from the shoulder down. So we're standing around that night and talking and it was great to see these young men who were just the nicest and most together guys you'd ever want to meet. They had that can do attitude that you have at that age and you're in the service.

They were all married and each had at least one child. I didn't meet their wives and kids until Saturday after the hunt but they were super too.

OK, we wake up at O-dark thirty the next morning and while eatting breakfast my buddy Ted says that two of the guys who were supposed to show up and do the calling couldn't make it at the last minute, and would I take out 2 of the guys and call for them both.

Talk about the pucker factor, but I said sure. So I got 2 young marines and one of them was the guy who'd lost his left arm. All the weapons had been supplied but they were all pump guns and the kid (his name was Steve) was having a little trouble with the action. I showed him my S/S 10 gauge and asked if he'd like to try it? He said sure so off we went.

The man who owns the land told me to set up on a high patch that led to a creek bottom that the birds had been roosting in. We got to the edge of this field planted in chufa and we set up a blind with our backs to some oak trees and I put my decoy out in the middle of the food plot about 30 yards. The other hunter was a kid named Mike and we flipped to see who gets to shoot first and Mike won. So there we are and it's not even light yet and it sounds like a turkey convention in that bottom. I thought there must be 100 Toms down there because of all the gobbling.

So I let go with a few yelps and in less than 10 minutes we had 6 gobblers walking around getting closer and closer to my decoy. I was in the middle and was able to whisper to both guys that they should each pick a bird and on my signal shoot at the same time. They were good marines and knew about fire discipline and the two closest Toms got within 4 or 5 feet from the decoy I said fire and they did.

Both turkeys were 17lbs and one had a 5" and the other had a 6" beard and the spurs were about a 1/2" on each bird. We get back to the clubhouse and we were the only ones who connected that morning. The other 3 got their birds on Sunday and all the guys and their families got to fish in the private pond that was on the property. We had some awesome bar-b-que and I just so happened to have brought some of our SWAT weapons and some ammo and all the guys and their wives got to shoot our MP-5s and M-4s and sniper rifles.

It was the best hunt and best time I've had in many years. We've got a few things lined up when the weather improves (IF it improves) to go fishing and I have a feeling we'll be dove hunting with these guys and gals come September if I have any say in it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:12:18 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
Re: Best Turkey Season EVER!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
That's awesome Bo, if you get something like that lined up for next spring I would love to come down and help call, guide, whatever!!

I was never in the armed forces but I respect those guys greatly.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
That is awesome, bo! Congratulations to all and thanks so much for helping our Vets get a leg up!

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Yes sir, you done good, bo! I thank you very much! Those fellas won't forget, either!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »
Congrats on the birds and a big THANK YOU for taking the time to help these guys out!  O0  The 2 guys that cancelled out at the last minute will never know what they missed out on.

It's great that these guys are still out there trying to enjoy the outdoors, in spite of their limitations caused my some dirt-bag with an agenda.  >:(

Keep up the good work Bo, helping those who have served their country and have had to come back missing pieces.  :'(
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
What John says.....  O0 O0 O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
It really was a lot of fun. The fact they finally nailed bin Laden so close to this hunt makes me feel even better! Truth be known, I'd have sold my soul to be in on killing that son of a bitc*!

I forgot to add that while I was down there we had a state representative show up. At first I wasn't too happy having him there, since I figured like all whores he was there looking for votes/money. He did say something though that I liked, but don't know how sincere he was.

He said he'd been getting letters asking that veterans wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan be allowed to use .22 caliber centerfire rifles to hunt turkey with. Georgia doesn't allow rifles of any kind for turkey, but just as before crossbows became legal for everyone, they were legal with a doctors slip for people who couldn't pull a regular bow. I'm in favor of this being done since a .22 hornet or .222 would be a great weapon for turkey and the recoil and other problems that come with shotguns would be avoided. Guess we'll wait and see.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:48:05 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments