November 21, 2017, 10:56:09 PM

Author Topic: You Like Catching Bowfins?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
You Like Catching Bowfins?
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
I went down to Tampa last week to hear Al Golden speak at an alumni dinner about U Miami football and what he plans on doing as the new head coach. I'm cautiously optimistic, but much has changed since the glory days of the 80's-90's so I'll have to wait and see.

Decided to do some bass fishing inside the Ocala National Forrest before coming home. I stayed at a little fish camp near lake Charles and was sleeping about 1am Sunday night/Monday Morning and all of a sudden I'm woken up with gun fire and yelling and fireworks and people chanting USA! USA! I'm slow but figured out to turn on the tv and hear the news. I watched for a few minutes and went back to sleep.

Got up a few hours later and got in my rental john boat and started fishing shiners hoping for a big bass. I caught two that weren't much bigger than the shiners were and by 2pm was getting a good sunburn.

Came in and a got bite at a little store and went back out about 5pm. Caught another bass about 2 pounds and then it just died. No wind and few clouds. I moved to a different part of the lake and decided that this was it. There was plenty of structure and not much in the way of hydrilla.  So I put out two rods with shiners and waited.

All of a sudden one of my rods was almost yanked out of the boat. I grabbed it and it felt like there was a 90 pound fish on the other end. It ran into some water lillies and I got hung up. I was not going to lose that fish so I basically began fighting my way into all the crap. 15 minutes later I pull out a 7 pound....

BOWFIN!!

God was I pis*ed off!

I HATE bowfins.

If you've never seen one, they're like a holdover from prehistoric times. They have a hard as hell outer skin that's almost like armor and they have a mouth full of teeth. You can't eat them but they do fight better than most freshwater fish, but they eat all the bass in the lake too.

I had my Glock with me but was afraid to shoot it because the freaking bullet might ricochet.

Maybe I was in a good mood too because of bin Laden and decided to pardon the fish and let it go.

I came back home Tuesday with a bad case of sunburn to show for it.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

Re: You Like Catching Bowfins?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
Get GP to come over with his special lotion to rub you down with! :shock: :shock: ;D ;D nOn said its a lil sweet but works like goats milk! :roll: ;D ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
And the fight was on!   ;D
I caught a big bowfin while my brother and I were bass fishing on the Mississippi River.
We were not having any luck when a huge bowfin hit my bass lure and the fight was on. I don't like bowfin but I did have to respect the fish for the battle he put on.

Those bowfins haven't changed for millions of years, real aggressive killers.

Too bad about your sunburn, bo!  :'( I hope it's healing just fine!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »
Bo, you should of brought if back to ATL. I am sure there are a few folks there that would of done a Wrestle Mania for a Mud fish of 7 lbs. We take them to the other side of the tracks and give them away by the cooler load. Try catching one on a Fly Rod. Now that is a Blast!

Facebook Comments