December 18, 2017, 07:42:08 AM

Author Topic: SQUIRREL HUNTERS  (Read 21867 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
SQUIRREL HUNTERS
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
How many of you hunt tree squirrels, and with what?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
Re: SQUIRREL HUNTERS
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »
Yeah - what ever happened to all of that .17 madness I kept hearing about?  Ya'll haven't gone back to the ol' .410 or something have you?  :wink:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »
My HMR got her first blood of the season tonight! No pics as I forgot my phone... grabbed ammo, the John Andrews special and the HMR and didn't give 2 poops about anything else  ;D

But you know me and you will soon start getting to see pics that will make you jealous all you do is sit in the house and internet hunt  :twisted:

BTW it was 89 when I left the house with a feels like of 96... yeah I still went and saw 3 and shot 3 O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »
 O0 Right on, Tech! I knew you would make us proud!
Your season  opens a month before ours.
My .17 awaits our opening day.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
Well tonight was not so productive. I saw one and shot one

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »
My primary squirrel gun until 3 or  years ago was an old Norinco JW15 22. I briefly played with a Savage in 17 HMR and decided it was just to much on those little gray squirrels and picked up a CZ 452 American in 17 M2 and love it. I still take the Norinco out once in a while as well as a 32 cal muzzle loader. I really don't kill a lot of squirrels any more I just like to get out in the woods and listen to the quiet.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
Think i am using my 22 mag this year. Have to wait till october.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
Our season has been open since the end of May, but I haven't had a chance to get out. Now with this heat, I have to factor in the time to come home and shower again before I go to work and that just don't leave enough time to actually hunt.
 As for the HMR, just about the time I got it, all the public areas near municiple areas went to a single projectile ban, for safety reasons. Now I got to drive most of an hour to hunt with it. With the cost of gas and my limited schedule, those trips are rare.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »
Got in a short one this morning. Had a storm pass through. Saw 3 shot at 1 and she is in the freezer!

Mo that drive is why I ended up leaving Indy. I have about 10 big timber spots all within 10 min from the house.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »
Our season opened 8/20, but I didn't make it out until last weekend.  Like a moron though, I didn't check to make sure the HRM was still zeroed.  :tickedoff  Saw 4, shot at 3, killed 1.  After shooting 7 times, I said the heck with it and went back to the 4-wheeler.

It was a weird morning Saturday.  Where there normally are squirrels, there weren't any.  Where I normally see gray squirrels, I didn't see any grays, but saw all of the fox squirrels.  Normally, I'll only see maybe 1 fox squirrel, but I saw the 4.  And the topper is that at 7:30 AM, I was still seeing turkeys in trees on the roost.  ???  Don't know what all was up with that.

Shot the rifle last Sunday and got it rezeroed.  Guess it must have gotten bumped sometime for it to be off.  Decided to stay home this weekend and get some stuff done around here.  The archery season for deer and turkey opened today, so now if I hit any of the public land, I'll have those people to deal with.  Dove season opened Thursday, so I may get out this afternoon with the boy and see if we can get anything around the sunflowers.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments