November 23, 2017, 02:39:29 AM

Author Topic: SQUIRREL HUNTERS  (Read 21383 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: SQUIRREL HUNTERS
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 05:31:11 AM »
Well, I rolled out at 3:30 this morning, am going to chase some tree rats, my favorite game. I'm taking along my youngest brother Don. Brother Charlie and Don are as rabid as I am about squirrel hunting. Charlie lives in CA and AZ. He comes to Iowa to hunt squirrles with me on occasions.

My rifles have been crying the entire week to go, as well as my BuckMark .22 pistol. I reckon I'll carry my HMR and the .22 pistol. The pistol is for the close shots, of course.

I was hunting last Sunday and popped a couple of buck fox squirrels. The squirrels went back in early, so hunting was limited. I reckon two is better than nothing, huh?  :roll:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »
Squirrel hunting seems to take a backseat to deer hunting this time of year, but not for me. Even though my time is limited for hunting, squirrels are still #1 for me.

Weekends are my limited days for hunting, usually Sunday. A week ago I saw 4 and popped them with my .17 HMR. Yesterday, I saw only 1 and didn't get a shot because of crummy weather. Our weather hasn't been ideal this year, overall.  :sad:

This week's weather is a little bit better forcast.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:47:48 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
Bummer on missing one but hey better than not going at all.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »
High of 37F today and 40F tomorrow! Squirrels will be out and hopefully, their rut going on. I plan on being there to welcome them tomorrow morning. They won't know what hit them.  :twisted:

I was hoping we were having fried squirrel and gravy for Christmas dinner but wife had other ideas. These "modern" squaws are just ruined with other ideas.  :roll: 

The store where I bought my Savage BMAG called and informed me my .17WSM ammo order arrived. It's just like Christmas all over again! 

I am taking the BMAG for the squirrels tomorrow. The .17WSM may be considered by some folks to be a tad overkill, but the extra range over my HMR is nice. It also has more wallop than the HMR for coyotes.

This time of the year, coyotes readily respond to my squirrel call. during one outing last year, I called in two coyotes while calling squirrels.

I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas, am working New Year's eve and New Years Day.  Working afternoon shift allows me to enjoy holidays and still get the extra pay for working holidays. The extra pay buys more rifles! Many old Indians like myself treasure a good rifle and a good knife over most everything else. We used to treasure good horses but of course, horses got replaced by good trucks.

I hope you folks had a very Merry Christmas and are going to have the best of a New Year! Get out there and hunt!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 10:15:07 AM »
Well, the last day of our season was Friday and I didn't go hunting because of having to take wife to a far out of town doc appointment.
On the way back, roads got slick and it was snowing like crazy and snowed for two days until we received about 6" or 7".  :tickedoff

It's about 7 months of long waiting until season opens.  :'(

Any suggestions, not including ice fishing?

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »
Make some knives and send them my way
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
Make some knives and send them my way
Shop is one big ice cube right now. :sad:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
Shop is reverting back to an icecube, is now 30F.

Now that squirrel season  :'( is closed, all the Spring options are here if our weather ever warms up.

For you fortunate folks that have a Spring season and for y'all that have year around squirrel hunting, good hunting to ya.

What are your favorite squirrel rifles, folks?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
Still 6 weeks out. HMR needs blood
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
We don't get to go till September. Now that I found the 2500 or so rounds of .22 I stashed after the big earred communist was elected the first time I have plenty of ammo to start the season.
Bill
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Facebook Comments