November 18, 2017, 10:40:46 AM

Author Topic: SQUIRREL HUNTERS  (Read 21266 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: SQUIRREL HUNTERS
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
You are most welcome, MO. Anything for a pal. I got 4 more grays yesterday.  :twisted:

The first one took some time. I could hear one chewing on a nut in the big oak trees but couldn't spot him. It went on for some time, perplexing me because I knew it was close. I kept looking to my right at a suspicious lump on a small clump of short broken off branches of a big oak about 100 yards distance.

Finally, I took a look through the scope and viola! A gray squirrel on the dark side of the tree on the branches and happily chewing on an acorn. KAPOW, and the squirrel dropped with a 20gr VMAX .17WSM passing through his head.

Or to be more exact, where his head used to be.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »
Well, everything gets shelved this morning while I go squirrel hunting. I got the itch and there is only one way to scratch it. I'm sure most of you get the same symtoms at least one day per week.  :twisted:

I'm not messing around today, am going to use my .17WSM.  :knuppel2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
I have been scratching the itch every weekend and killing some with my .17 WSM.

The only one last weekend was kind of funny, a really fat gray. I spotted something very bright yellow coming through the woods and a look through the scope revealed an ear of corn with a squirrel attached.

KAPOW, one fat gray for the freezer. After I shot, a very dumb crow carried on in a tree close by and wouldn't quit. KAPOW, dead crow and the woods was nice and quiet again.  :twisted: It must have been a dumb city crow visiting his country cousins.  ;D

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Went deer hunting and when the weather dipped to around freezing, those dad-blame squirrels showed up like a small army! I really hadn't seen many this year, but boy did they show up this week! :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :tickedoff :tickedoff
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »
Went deer hunting and when the weather dipped to around freezing, those dad-blame squirrels showed up like a small army! I really hadn't seen many this year, but boy did they show up this week! :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :tickedoff :tickedoff
  :twisted: Ya going to lay into them, bo?

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
I don't really squirrel hunt anymore. Every so often I might carry my Ruger Single-Six with me but thats just for targets of opportunity. :wink: :wink: O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
I don't really squirrel hunt anymore. Every so often I might carry my Ruger Single-Six with me but thats just for targets of opportunity. :wink: :wink: O0
  O0  Targets you can eat, bo.

I nailed 3 more grays yesterday with the .17WSM and 25gr ammo.  :twisted:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »
And again yesterday with the WSM, got 2 grays and two fox squirrels.  :twisted: I love long range squirrel hunting with the WSM, although my first kill of the day was a gray at only about 40 yards, completely blew his head off with a 25gr.  :twisted:

My Savage BMAG .17 WSM rifle sports a 6.5X-20X 50mm scope and works fine. I rarely screw up the power.

My tricked out Savage 93 HMR sports a 6X-24X 40mm. It has been sidelined this season.

And my deadly Marlin 60 .22 LR was my main meat getter for a lot of years. It sports and old but trusty steel Bushnell Banner 3X-9X 40mm. I shoot CCI Stingers in it.

Mounts and rings are always steel Weaver. 

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »
Tomorrow I do my civic duty by eliminating a band of gray squirrels that have taken over a feeder in an elderly lady's yard. I hunt her woods and she has some fox squirrels she considers her pets because they have been  using the feeder until the dastardly gang of of grays took over.

I will be sitting on her porch on a comfy chair with my rifle.

Her daughter Jody is our secretary at HQ and Jody's son is one of my fellow officers and good pal. And his dad Bob is a pal I grew up with.

Jody makes the best cakes and pies in the world. I will be sniping squirrels, eating great deserts, and shooting squirrels.  :)

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
Sounds like a great plan. All you need is a big screen TV and a hot tub and you'd be all set.

Facebook Comments