October 22, 2017, 06:54:01 PM

Author Topic: looking to buy a new knife..........  (Read 8946 times)

travo

looking to buy a new knife..........
« on: January 16, 2005, 06:08:51 PM »
i am looking to buy a new knife for big game hunting. i know there are a few good knife makers in this forum. could i get a few prices for a custom made,no frills all purpose knife? or if they are over 100$, could you suggest a knife company that mass produces its product, is readily available, and are good quality? i have bought a few so-called stainless steel knives that are rusty,even after good care. i want to buy one good knife that i can use for the rest of my life and can pass on to my son.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 10:03:17 PM »
Travo, I've got some pictures of the knives John Andrews makes.  He's currently in the process of making 3 for me now.  I'm too lazy to go through the process of uploading the pictures to a site  :oops: , so if you'd like to see the pics, send me your email address and I'll mail them to you.  I'll let you and him discuss prices.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 12:36:54 AM »
Thanks, BC! I wish I had them on their way to you already, but they are not finished, dang it!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 08:49:45 AM »
"the " knife here in michigan for decades has been marbel knives.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »
Marbles knives are good knives.  I've got a couple of them.  Hold their edge very well.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 04:02:24 AM »
Marbles are good looking knives, too. I was glad to see them being made again. Marbles carries such a great history of an American made knife.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:31:48 AM »
ive wanted one since i was a kid,,, still haven't gotten it yet. i have a 4 inch blade antler handled  solengen my step dad got me when i was 13.its done every deer i ever shot, a moose and a black beer,and assorted pigs

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »
i dunno i like big knives such as the bowie knife it seems to get r done.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 04:17:54 PM »
yeah big knives look cool, but its really hard to core out a bucks butt hole with a bowey knife

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 06:00:53 PM »
ive heard really good things about brownings dear hunting knives my teacher owns one its quite nice ill see if i cant find one on the web.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments