October 22, 2017, 11:21:11 AM

Author Topic: looking to buy a new knife..........  (Read 8945 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: looking to buy a new knife..........
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 05:48:03 PM »
Sure can, and thanks!   Here's my itty bitty web page, folks.  http://www.geocities.com/oldhickory45/Knives.html 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 10:10:07 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Squirrel Commander

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 09:56:19 PM »
You probobally already bought one , but justin case you didnt i would recomend the Buck Pathfinder 105. It has a 5 inch blade that is just the right size for skinning just about anything but birds and squirrels.
One shot, make 'em drop like a rock.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 11:38:35 PM »
Knives follow trends, the trend now being shorter blades for most hunting. I like a 4 1/2 or 5 inch blade for large game. One thing that I personally disagree with on some knives, are the handles.  When you are shopping for a knife, do yourself one favor. Turn the knife in your hand where the sharp edge is pointed up instead of the cutting edge facing down, the usual cutting position. Is the handle still comfortable? Many times we use a knife in an upcutting position. Those finger groooves on some handles look fancy, but are very uncomfortable if you have to use the knife in different positions.  Also, select a knife that has a long enough handle to fill your hand. After all, the knife is used as a tool and has to have enough handle to accomplish work. Some of those dinky handles look good, but are not very practical. Also, consider what the knife handle is going to feel like when wet or bloody.  I have seen handles too slick to safely use for wet conditions.  I am in the process of building BC's next two knives and plan on puting about a 600 grit finish on his handle, for safety's sake. The grit size puts a decent looking finish on the stabilized wood, but allows decent grip. I could polish the handles to a mirror polish, but I would be really concerned about BC's well being while he is using it. BC, we want to keep you intact! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 11:41:08 PM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 07:43:57 AM »
Glad someone does!  Usually, most people want to me keel-over and die! ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 06:58:42 PM »
BC, DON'T DO THAT! For another reason, we gotta have you around to torment! ;D ;D ;D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »
I once heard an old indian saying" white man carries too much knife"and it's true.Also, "Redman build small fire,sit real close...White man build BIG fire, sit WAAAY back"
JA,send me a pricelist also...     mcgee@charter.net

I proably won't be able to afford it but everyones gotta have a dream.I'm mostly interested in the same style knives you're making for BC. Perhaps with an eyelet in the handle for an idiot string.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 09:26:57 PM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »
Mosparky, will do, and thanks! I like what you posted, and it's very true about the knives and fire. :mrgreen:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 07:44:07 PM »
Mosparky, if you haven't gotten a price yet from John, you'll be kinda' surprised when you do get it! :shock:  The guy I hunt on collects custom knives.  He's got a pretty extensive collection from different people, with some he paid over $1200 for! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:  When I was looking at having John make a knife (I didn't tell Bob that it was for him though), he told me what a standard custom knife should cost.  John quoted me a price well UNDER what Bob (the guy I hunt on) said was a good deal.  Apparently, John's "standard" price is quite a bit lower than what you would pay to someone else to make the same knife.  Also, I've used some of Bob's custom knives to skin deer, clean squirrels, fish, etc.  They don't have near the feel or look that John's knives do.  If it's any indication, I had him make the one for Bob as a Christmas present, and now I'm having him make 2 more for me.....One for me and one for my son. :mrgreen:  I'm going to show the boy his when I get it, but it will be a few years before he gets to start carrying it hunting. ^-^

Anyway, for the price, you can't beat John's knives for look and quality! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 09:54:51 PM »
Dad blast it, you guys. (sigh) >:( John, what kind of steel do you use? My old man loves a good knife and the old style high-carbon steel that'll hold a good edge. If you can do something like this. I'm interested... and I'll have to explain to my wife why I'm buying a custom-made knife or two instead of just going to wally world and picking one up. This is all your fault, BC... but I think I'll find it in my heart to forgive you. :-P :mrgreen:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »
I haven't recieved a price  yet, but I realize a quality knife is gonna cost some.I'm done buying junk knives. I got a box full of them. Each was sharpened going in. but dull 6 mos later, with no use (I call it air dulled). Finally i got a Buck for Christmas one year and learned what a real knife could be.Then I got an Old Timer pin knife a few years later. Thats when I learned the truth of "white man carries too much knife".I got my deer,then found I had cut one too many boxes with my Buck knife. I had my reservations but what else could I do. Out comes the pin knife. Now I want you to know the longest blade has a 1 3/4 inch cutting edge and is 1/4" wide.I had no problem spliting that deer from snooper to pooper including splitting the rib cage. Matter of fact I can hardly imagine it being much easier.But I couldn't quite get the pelvic bone though.Just carved out the pooper and pulled it through. That would be tough to do with a big ol' bowie.
Nowadays, I use my knives for their intended purpose. Box knives are for boxes, Bowies are for when a hatchet is too much but a pocket knife won't gett'er done.Fillet knives are for filleting. In short knives are tools and like any other tool, if you use the right one for the job the task at hand will go easier and the chances of injury are minimized.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments