October 20, 2017, 04:53:28 AM

Author Topic: looking to buy a new knife..........  (Read 8936 times)

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: looking to buy a new knife..........
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2005, 05:33:40 AM »
Amen on knives being tools and you need to use the right tool for the job.in the past couple of years I've been using a knife from a small semi custom maker in california named Anza Knives they have a web site where they have their products for sale.The Anza knives are made from files and they have just about any size or price range to fit most of us.I have a small one that I love for squirrels that stays sharp for the 15 or 20 that I get every year. I think the web site is just anzaknives.com give them a look
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2005, 11:39:31 PM »
Ks_, I use 8A steel on those knives I am building for BC and the other fellas. It is a high carbon stainless steel simular to 440 and 154CM, and has terrific edge holding properties. I also have the blades cryo treated, to maximize  the steel. I have other steels, and some very expensive CPM420V steel  that is for knives that run in the neighborhood of $500 and up. It is some very high tech steel that is overkill for an average hunter's knife.  One example of a use for the CPM420V is a knife you would butcher large salmon all day long on cardboard.  And at the end of the day, all you would have to do is just hit the knife edge on a steel a few times and it's back to razor sharp. We are talking about cutting into cardboard and bone all day!  The reason cardboard is so hard on a knife edge is because the mixture that is used to make cardboard also contains clay.  You can imagine cutting into hard clay all day long with a knife and expecting it it stay sharp, but the CPM steel will do it because the cutting edge is comprised of almost completely of small solid particles of carbides that are suspended in the stainless steel. Actually, the steel is injected with a high concentration of what will become small uniform sized carbides when the blade is heat treated. Some folks call the process "temper", but that's actually not the proper description of the process. Blades are not actually "tempered", they are heat treated to specific temps and  different quenches.  Each different steel is heat treated (HT) differently, and some require a cryo treatment during the heat treating (HT) process. At the end of the HT, an optional cryo treat will benefit the blade, some with a remarkable improvement.  I could write an informative book here on HT, but you fellas are already bored by now.  I have all my blades get the optional cryo quench for several proven reasons to maximize the steel.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2005, 04:28:04 AM »
Well, shoot then. Send me a list and some pics, if you will.

Thanks, John.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline hickory50

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 01:19:20 PM »
Ontario makes good knives. I have had two for many years and they hold an edge well. I also make knives out of old sawmill blades and concrete saw blades, both of which is very good steel that hold an edge well. I ain't sold but just a few, give most of them away for Christmas and birthday presents. The ones made out of the old concrete saw blades are thin, but they do hold up well when using them. The first ones I made for my boys when they was youngins and they still use them for skinning and dressing out game. I used one of them to skin and dress out two coons, and one fox, and afterwards it would still shave the hair off of my arm. I don't think there is a lot of factory made knives that can do that, at least not any that I have seen used can.

Offline travelinguy7

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 08:49:20 AM »
I got a Browning Kodiak FDT and I love it. Sharp, holds a good edge, really solid feel.  I think I will probably have it forever.  It seems like you pay a premium to get anything Browning, but it is usually worth it. I got mine from the guy I get my scopes from.  http://www.spammersRus.com

According to the posts I see on other boards, it seems you get everything from that website, Jeffrey.   

NO SPAM ZONE

GP
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:10:54 AM by Gutpiles »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »
Crap!  I just looked today and the links to the pictures I put up aren't working.  I checked the site (they overhauled the picture site I was using), and all of my pictures are gone! >:(  Gotta upload them all again and rework the links.  I'll have it fixed in a day or two hopefully!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 01:11:58 PM »
John A.. real quict question for you.. while you are talking about different kinds of metals...  I have a foldr made out of ATS-34...  Can you give me an idea what the properties are.. it holds an edge very well and sharpens up nicely.. but I was just wondering if you could tell me any more??

Thanks!!
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2005, 12:47:11 AM »
Firekidd, ATS-34 is the Japanese version of our American 154CM ( Crucible Steel) and is a very excellent tool steel. I think the Japanese actually developed the ATS-34 steel for a certain type of ball bearings. Our 154CM was developed for use in fan jet engines.  In fact, both are claimed to be interchangeable.  What's nice is the fact that it's easier to sharpen than VG-10, another exceptional stainless steel.  ATS-34 makes a great pocket knife steel. A couple of other makers that are using the same steel is Spyderco and CRK.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2005, 08:03:01 PM »
Thanks John...  Mine's a gerber, and I've had it for over a year... It has been great...  It'll take anything that I throw at it, and keeps going... the handle is a little marked up, but still usable!!

Thanks again!
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2005, 10:46:13 AM »
Firekidd, you will be hard pressed to find an all around factory knife better than the Gerbers. I see a lot of them being used, and they are an excellent bargain for the money. O0

Facebook Comments