October 20, 2017, 09:03:26 PM

Author Topic: Does it happen to you when you shoot off sticks ?  (Read 302 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Does it happen to you when you shoot off sticks ?
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
What I have seen is:

No matter what I'm shooting,when I'm shooting,where I'm shooting, and who is shooting my rifles. They all shoot high off sticks.

I check my POI regularly and there normally unchanged.But I always use my bench to do any kind of accuracy stuff, ie, sighting the gun in.As you all know I'm always testing something. Then when I'm out hunting it always seams like I'm shooting a little higher than I think I should be,I am.

So I go through the same ritual,first check it on the bench,fine ,perfect then I shoot off my sticks- High. Some higher than others. My 22/250 will be maybe an inch up to my big gun (45/70) and it will be 5 inches high. Again to day I ran out in preparation for bear season and checked . Yup 1.5" high at 100 yards on the bench and 6 1/2 " high at 100 yards off sticks with me sitting/ kneeling. In bear talk that would make for a poor shot. I like to  hit bear low and in the shoulder that would put me way up near the top of the shoulder a not so good bear hit. I broke down and dropped the scope 5" and off the sticks I still right 1 1/2" high at 100 yard.it's is consistent, I put 10 shots in under a 2-1/2" circle. Before every one get after me for using the sticks wrong I am aware not to rest the barrel on the sticks...What I'm thinking is, when I'm using the bench I have the rifle in a lead sled or at the very least two sand bags. It's the recoil and the amount of time the bullet spend in the barrel.45/70 BIG recoil slower bullet more clime,22/250 faster bullet less time in the rifle and way less recoil. I have herd of this affect with pistols too ,Plincking loads,(slow and light) shoot low, hunting loads (bigger more recoil) shoot higher.This like I said seams to occur on most all my guns and on the boys too. It can be lessened if a person really holds DOWN on the rifle. I'm just going to "Finish" sighting in my hunting loads/guns off sticks that way there is less I have to think about as I'm pulling the trigger.  That's a good thing I hate when I have to think about a shot. :crazy2

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Does it happen to you when you shoot off sticks ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
 ??? No, I don't have that problem. I shoot off sticks quite often while squirrel hunting.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
The problem isn't the stick, it is probably the lead sled. Don't use it the next time on the range, just the bags, compare it with the stick shots and see what the difference is.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »
The problem isn't the stick, it is probably the lead sled. Don't use it the next time on the range, just the bags, compare it with the stick shots and see what the difference is.
O0 Yep!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments