December 11, 2017, 03:50:21 PM

Author Topic: Did Pretty Well  (Read 841 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Did Pretty Well
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
I hunted the first 4 days of the season and managed to get two. Both doe and both less than 25 yards.

I shot one opening morning as it came down this saddle. It had at least two more with it, but there was too much underbrush to see what they were. It walked broadside to me and I put a Magnus just behind the shoulder. It went in and down and came out the other side. It ran about 50 feet and piled up.

Sunday night right at dark I heard some walking through the leaves out into a food plot we had set up. I came back Monday morning and got up into the stand to see if I could get something coming in or out of the food plot. The sun was just getting up high enough for shooting light and I saw a doe coming out of the field and I let it get as close as I dared. It looked like it was going to walk directly under me. I hit it right in the heart and it took off back into the food plot and went down.

Monday afternoon I moved to a new spot I had not hunted before and got my ol man treestand up about 15 feet and was overlooking a small creek about 100 feet away and with several big oak trees that had been dropping a crap load of acorns. About 6pm I saw a really nice 8 or 10 point walk by on the other side of the creek about 50-60 yards away. It was a nice deer and if I had my rifle it would have been all over. As it was he was too far away for a bow shot. As he was just going out of view something spooked him. I don't think it was me but the wind in those bottoms can swirl around and I had all my good anti-smelly stuff on, and had poured a fair amount of fox urine nearby, but you can't be too careful and something made him go bye-bye.

Tuesday I hunted on the other side of the creek and where I hoped he'd come back through. I hunted all day and didn't see or hear a thing. No squirrels or crows or anything. For some reason Tuesday just had everything turned off.

We had 1 more doe and a nice little 8 point killed by two other members on Saturday and it was a pretty good opener. We had three other guys hunting and two saw deer but couldn't get a shot and I can't say for certain but I think this has been our best bow opener at least since I got back from Afghanistan if not the best bow opener since we've been there.

Guess I'll go back this weekend and see if I can't get that buck.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:12:04 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Did Pretty Well
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »
Good going Bo  O0 They're in for it now, there's a new sheriff in town. Good luck this weekend too.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »
Good going Bo  O0 They're in for it now, there's a new sheriff in town. Good luck this weekend too.
  O0 O0 O0 O0 Yeah on that! You doing great, bo!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Congrats!  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments