November 20, 2017, 02:20:29 AM

Author Topic: 6 More For The Pot!  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
6 More For The Pot!
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »
Went down to thin out some more of the squirrels, but decided to go on around to where I haven't hunted this year.  Probably saw around 20 or so squirrels.  I got my 6 (daily limit) and walked out.  O0   Guess the little buck-toothed little beasts knew that I couldn't shoot any more after that 6th one.  :x   As I was walking out, the little taunting bastages were everywhere!  Not to mention close!  I had one sitting there looking at me no more than 15 feet away!  :tickedoff

Got 5 grays and 1 fox.  The fox squirrel was pretty cool though.  From him nose all the way to the base of his tail, his whole belly was cole black.  That's the first one that I've ever shot like that.  I would have loved to have gotten it mounted, but it would have been pretty hard considering half of his head was missing.  :x

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 6 More For The Pot!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
sounds like you found the honey hole for squirrels. Great job. I know it had to be tough to walk away with only 6 when they kept taunting you so. I don't think I ever limited out on squirrels. Last time I hunted the limit was 6, now they raised it to 10. I may never limit out. That's alright, it's not about the limit for me anyways, I'm just glad to bring a few home to account for my time.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »
sounds like you found the honey hole for squirrels. Great job. I know it had to be tough to walk away with only 6 when they kept taunting you so. I don't think I ever limited out on squirrels. Last time I hunted the limit was 6, now they raised it to 10. I may never limit out. That's alright, it's not about the limit for me anyways, I'm just glad to bring a few home to account for my time.

Nah, there's a butt-load of squirrels up there.  I don't hunt them as much as I could/should, but that's probably a good thing.  It leaves plenty up there for when I take the boy and/or the dog.  O0   I've been staying away from the area that I've been deer hunting in because I didn't want to possibly contaminate the area.  I wear a light pair of boots squirrel hunting, and I know they carry scent, unlike the rubber boots I wear deer hunting.  But the squirrels have been about to drive me bonkers the past few weeks!  :tickedoff   Figured they needed a little "thinning" in the immediate area.  ;)   ;D   Got 4 in a stretch probably 75 yards long, but saw about 10-12 more that I couldn't get a shot at.  Crossed down below the food plot and got the last 2.

The past several times I've been hunting (both deer & squirrel), the squirrels have been on the ground.  This morning, they were up in the trees.  :?   Of the 6, five of them were shot out of trees, one on the ground.  The one on the ground, I was following him in the scope waiting for him to stop long enough for me to get the crosshairs on him.  He went behind a log and I thought I had lost my chance on his.  Just for the heck of it, I started squeeking with my mouth.  ;)   Sure enough, he stood straight up from behind the log, looking dead away from me.  >:D   ;D   I peeled the top of his head off for him.  >:D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
 :twisted: O0 You done good, BC! I haven't had a day like that for a long time!

I was out yesterday and got one gray squirrel and one fox squirrel. It was late in the evening and I got a 2 second sighting at a small young gray disappearing on the ground, no time for a shot. I reckon you got my email, BC. Two fer two head shots isn't bad, but mighty slim pickings.

That mouth squeek was a good idea!  O0 POW! Right in the back of the head with a .17gr VMAX!  :twisted:

I've never killed a fox squirrel with a black belly. It's too bad you can't have that one mounted!  :sad:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
here at the new house i could walk outside and fill my limit. except the wife always hollers " why are you wasting ammunition?" like their going to quit making 22 rounds. LOL. BC that fox sure was unusual, i've never seen one like it. i did see solid black and solid white ones on the lawn of the capitol in D.C. years ago. I figured someone might get mad if i went huntin there though. :crazy2
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:48:49 AM by C.N. »
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
her at the new house i could walk outside and fill my limit. except the wife always hollers " why are you wasting ammunition?" like their going to quit making 22 rounds. LOL. BC that fox sure was unusual, i've never seen one like it. i did see solid black and solid white ones on the lawn of the capitol in D.C. years ago. I figured someone might get mad if i went huntin there though. :crazy2
  ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D ;D ;D Get mad? They would go crazy! Swat team all over ya!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments