November 23, 2017, 01:41:31 PM

Author Topic: Got The Boy Ready To Go  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Got The Boy Ready To Go
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Since the weather has been so nice around here lately (low-mid 80's and sunny), I took a half day off work yesterday to go home and work on the making sure I had a rifle for the boy this weekend if he decides to go, and to work on the scope on the crossbow.

A couple of years ago, I was getting ready to shoot the Ruger Mini-14 and had got it out of the safe and set it on my desk chair.  Don't ask me how, but the freaking thing fell off the chair and screwed the scope up.  Apparently, it had landed on the scope, causing it to leak the gas out and messing up the lenses.  :tickedoff   I put another scope on it, but have been forgetting to sight it in.  Grabbed it yesterday to make sure the scope was "still set"  ::)  ............ and happened to remember that I had never sighted the new scope in, after the first shot went about 2 feet high at 50 yds.  ;D

Finally got it sighted in with some 75 grain Hornady loads.  O0   About everything I've got would either kick too much for the boy to handle, or the stock is too long.  I've got a folding stock on the Mini-14, so I figured we could either fold the stock out of the way or he could tuck it under his arm since it's so narrow.  Since it's a semi-auto .223, we won't have to worry about the recoil that much.  I would have preferred him shooting something a little bigger, but didn't have anything that he "could" shoot.  Figured with the 75 grain Hornady loads though, they should put a hurting on a deer.  O0   Since the Mini-14 has a faster twist to the rifling, it stabilizes those heavy bullets pretty well.  I tried shooting them out of the .223 T/C Encore a few years ago, but they wouldn't group since the twist is something like 1:12.  Still, the 55 grain Nosler bullets I used did a number on the deer I shot that year with it.  ;)

This weekend is the youth gun season for deer here in KY.  I've been asking the boy if he wants to go, but as is usually his fashion, he hasn't made up his mind yet, and probably won't until Friday night.  :x   Regardless, if he doesn't go, I'm still taking off and going with the crossbow.  I'm "hongree" for some deer!  >:D

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Got The Boy Ready To Go
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
If you go without him AND get one, then he'll want  to go next time for sure!!

Just wait until he gets older and starts playing football. Then you can't go because you'll be having to go to his games. If you don't go the Mrs will be looking for your scalp!! :shock: :shock: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »
If you go without him AND get one, then he'll want  to go next time for sure!!

Just wait until he gets older and starts playing football. Then you can't go because you'll be having to go to his games. If you don't go the Mrs will be looking for your scalp!! :shock: :shock: :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Yeah on that!

It sounds like getting ready was like rolling a big snowball, BC. And the Mini 14 just HAD to land on its scope when it fell.  :sad:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »
Last year I didn't hunt much because the boy was playing flag football and I was going to the games.  This year so far he hasn't wanted to play anything.  With the way he likes to run, we've been trying to get him to run track and cross country, but the programs are screwed up at the elementary school where he's at.  :x   In a couple of years when he gets up to the middle school they should have the stuff straightened out by then.  The county doesn't really have a football team at the elementary school, but the middle school does.  We'll see about that when the time comes.

I asked him last night if he was going with me this weekend and he said no.  :'(   Don't know yet whether or not he'll actually go or not.  He's done this stuff before, so I'll have to wait until about 8-9 PM tonight before he makes up his mind.  Either way, I'm still going.  O0   This weekend is the youth gun season, but I can still go with my crossbow.  Next weekend is our early muzzleloading season.  >:D   If I don't get something this weekend, I'll more than likely get something next weekend.  Just got another 24 pack of 325 grain bullets for the .54 cal Knight.  O0   Those things make a NASTY hole when they hit!  >:D O0   I'm down to about a 1/4 can on the FFg black powder.  Gotta try to find a place around here that sells the stuff.  Everybody has Pyrodex and Triple 7, but you can't hardly find regular black powder.  :x

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:26:17 AM »
That's what it's like here when a fella needs something. We have to run all over creation to find common items.  :tickedoff

A while back, I bought a couple of new pistols and needed holsters. The local store (Farm King) where I bought the guns at didn't even have holsters to fit the pistols and were not interested in ordering them.  :tickedoff

I ended up buying what I needed at the Las Vegas Bass Pro store when I was there. They had a jillion holsters right on the rack, every holster a fella could ever want.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
I ended up buying what I needed at the Las Vegas Bass Pro store when I was there. They had a jillion holsters right on the rack, every holster a fella could ever want.  :)

Unless you're trying to find a leather holdster for concealed carry.  :x   The Bass Pro here only has nylon and plastic holsters.  :tickedoff

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »

Unless you're trying to find a leather holdster for concealed carry.  :x   The Bass Pro here only has nylon and plastic holsters.  :tickedoff
That's pretty much what the Vegas store had. But, at least I could find a couple of holsters for carry. I don't know of any store where you can walk into and buy a conceal carry holster or rig right off the shelf. :sad:

BBF

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
 :shock:

MAN !! I can't believe what I just read! Considering the Fort Knox size Gun Safe you got there wasn't any rifle you could cut the stock back to fit your son(  ooops boy??)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
:o

MAN !! I can't believe what I just read! Considering the Fort Knox size Gun Safe you got there wasn't any rifle you could cut the stock back to fit your son(  ooops boy??)

I ain't cuttin' NOTHIN' back!  :knuppel2   The guns in the safe stay as they are.  If the boy needs a gun, he'll either make due with what's in there or I'll get another one for him.  ;) ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »
:shock:

It's a Southern Thang, BBF. You wouldn't understand! :wink: :wink:

It's important for him to have his own weapon. He learns to care for it. He learns the importance of firearms safety. He has in the weapon, his own identity that is separate from his dads. Lastly. If he doesn't like it, dad has a NEW  gun to put in his safe! ;D :wink: :wink: :wink: O0 O0

Btw...

I'm glad he's playing flag football and not tackle. Flag is much more fun and it allows him a chance to see some action without getting hurt like he could in tackle football. 

When that happens it makes mom REALLY mad! :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :tickedoff :tickedoff

My folks gave in to my screaming and tantrums in that I wanted to play tackle football when I was 7. First Pop Warner, then 8th grade, then junior high, then high school. By the time I got to college I played football more because it was what you did September through November, than any other reason.

I think back to those wasted Saturdays, being pounded on when I could have been hunting mega deer. There's just no telling how many Pope and Young and Boone and Crockett deer I'd have by now and how many magazine covers I'd have been on. :-P :twisted: :roll: :idiot2 :buck2
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments