October 22, 2017, 04:01:18 AM

Author Topic: A Long Drawn Out Day!  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
A Long Drawn Out Day!
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
This weekend was the youth gun season, but the boy didn't want to go.  I went on with the crossbow, the only "condition" for hunting the weekend was that I had to wear orange since guns could be used.  Got up to my little blind around 6:30 AM and got settled in and waited for daylight.  A little after daylight, I saw "a" deer on down the hill, but couldn't tell what it was.  Later on around 8:30 or so I had a little doe come in, but the wind was swirling and she busted me.  :x   Around 9:15 another doe came up the hill toward the corn.  I know it's 20-22 yds to where she was standing at, so I put the 20 yd crosshair on her, squeezed the trigger, and shot right under her.  :x ;D   Don't ask me how or why, but the only thing I can figure is that it was destiny.  O0

At 10:35 AM, I looked up from my magazine and saw 2 bucks coming around the hill toward me.  I dropped the magazine and grabbed the Excalibur.  Both of the bucks looked to be about the same size, but I didn't get that good of a look at either.  I thought they would come on over to the corn, but they turned and headed up over the saddle of the ridge.  Swung over to a shooting lane up there and waited.  The lead buck stepped out in it and stopped.  O0   I put the 30 yd "triangle" right behind the front leg and squeezed the trigger.  He was angling to me just a little, but it wasn't going to be enough to matter.  Just as the bow went off, the S.O.B. took a step forward.  :x   The Luminok was shining and I could see that it was going to hit further back than what I wanted, and then I heard the "pop" of the hit.  He ran off about 10-15 yds and stopped and stood there for a while.  I was hoping that he was going to drop, but he walked on off around the back side of the ridge.  :x   I hate it when they go back there because it's thicker than the hair on a cat's back and steep!  Don't know what happened to the second buck.  Guess he went back the way he came.  I didn't really know how big the one was that I shot, but I was figuring it was probably a good 8 pt.

Since the shot was pretty far back, I waited until 11:30, an hour, before starting to trail.  Went over and picked up my arrow.  It smelled of a paunch hit just as I suspected.  :(   Went on up to where he stood and found a bunch of dark blood, so it was looking like I clipped the liver.  I started on around the hill following the blood trail and quietly as possible, stopping every few steps and scanning ahead the the binoculars.  Got around 50 yds down the trail and he jumped up out of a bed and headed down the hill.  I backed out and went back to my blind to sit for a while and give him some time.  After 3+ hours, I got up at 3:00 PM and took out on the trail again.  Went back to where I had jumped him up and started down the hill.  Got about 20 yds down the hill and jumped him up again!  :x   He didn't go very far though and bedded back down.  I slipped on down the hill a little piece to where I could see a little and started picking everything apart with the binos.  I finally found him, about 40-50 yds away on down the hill.  It was so thick, there was no way I could get a shot.  He would lay his head down and periodically raise it up, look around, and then lay it back down again.  While he was doing this, I finally got a half-way decent look at his rack.  Holy S**T!!  He was a BEAST!  :o   That's when I really started shaking!  ;D   I sat down right there and waited another hour.  During this time, he got up, walked a few more steps down the hill and bedded down again.

By this time, it's around 4:30 PM and I decided that something had to happen if I wanted to recover him and still be able to use the meat.  It was in the 80's yesterday, so I knew if I left him overnight, the meat would spoil and coyotes would probably get him.  As slowly and quietly as possible, I started down the hill toward him, stopping every couple of steps to glass and try to find him.  I worked my way down to where he "had" been and knew he couldn't be much further.  I finally found him, bedded on the other side of a little drop off about 30 yds away.  I kept glassing, but couldn't tell if he was facing toward me or away from me.  Luckily, the ground I was on was kinda rocky and didn't hardly have any leaves on it.  I finally slipped down to a tree about 20 yds away.  I was finally able to tell he had his back toward me and his head was down.  Just as I stepped out away from the tree to thread an arrow through the stuff, he raised his head up.  I aimed just below the spine since he was kinda laying on his side, thinking I'd either get the lungs or the spine.  The distance was about 15 yds and I hit high.  He jumped up, took about 2 hops and fell with blood pouring out a hole in his neck.  The arrow went in high right between his shoulder blades and came out about mid way up his neck, getting the wind pipe and jugular.  I looked at my watch and it was 5:05 PM, 6 1/2 hours after my initial shot.

Got him field dressed and drug up the hill a little ways and knew I wasn't going to be able to get him out by myself.  I was totally spent, physically and psycologically.  Between getting up at 4:30 AM, trecking up and down the hills, and the stress of staying after that deer, finding out how big he was, and REALLY going after him then, I was spent.  My jerkey and trail mix at 12:00 had worn off long ago.  Left the deer laying and hiked back up the hill, grabbed my pack back at the blind, and walked out to the 4 wheeler.  I can't get any cell reception down there, so I got down to the truck and went over to my uncle's house to see if he would help me.  We got back over there and drove the 4 wheeler up almost to the blind and left it.  Started around the hill and then down.  Got to the deer, found a strong limb and broke it off about 2' long, tied the rope onto the antlers and the stick and started clawing our way back up the hill.  Not only did the deer have a big rack, but he had a big, heavy body.  After clawing, falling, grunting, cussing, and sweating, we finally got the beast back onto the front side of the hill after about 2 hours.  Joe took the deer on down the hill and I took the 4 wheeler off in another spot and met him at the bottom.  The hill is too steep and would probably roll sideways if the deer were on there.

When I dropped Joe back off at his house, he and his wife took some pictures and then I was headed back.  I finally got back home at a little after 10:00 last night.  I was tired, my back and legs were hurting, I was hungry, and still had to skin it out, debone, and get the meat cooling.  I finally finished and came back in the house at 3:30 AM this morning.  ::)

Now, with all of the talk, I bet your wondering just "what" I got.........  ;) ;D   He's basically a main frame 10 pt, but has 2 additional points, making a total of 12.  One is probably 8" long and comes off the left main beam, the other is a fork coming off his right G2.  The rack is only about 14" wide, but it's thick and tall.  He's the best one I've got to date!  O0   The heavy bastage weighed in a 172 lbs.  :o   Normally, I can fit all of the deboned meat in 1 cooler.  Couldn't last night!  :D

On to the pics.....  I was so freaking tired, I never remembered to get any with me and the deer or the deer and the crossbow.  :'(   Oh well.

After the final shot

In the back of the truck at my uncle's house

Backed into the barn prior to hanging

Rolled up and ready for the taxidermist  ;)

Sorry for being so long-winded, but it was a LONG day yesterday.  ::)   I think I finally got in bed at about 5:00 this morning.  :crazy2

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
Re: A Long Drawn Out Day!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
Nice job BC!!!!!  I know you had to be beat - but that mount will be one of the best - it's got a cool tale to always go with it!   O0
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
Excellent work BC and good story too. Can't wait to see the mount. Don't forget to tell the boy, that could have been his deer  :twisted:
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:29:14 PM »
Good deal, I bet the kid wishes he had gone now. What broadhead are you shooting? That thing really opened him up.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
Way to go BC!!!  O0 O0 O0 That's gonna look great on the wall.
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
Thanks folks!  O0   I'm tickled to death with him!  :D   I definitely earned him, that's for sure.  If he had just not taken that 1 step...........  :tickedoff   Since I'm a meat hunter, it would have defeated the purpose of me even being out there if I had left him overnight because the meat would have spoiled and coyotes would have probably gotten him.  I hate it that things happened as they did, for the deer's sake, but I was determined for it not to have been in vane.  O0

I was using an Excalibur Equinox (225 lb draw) with Firebolt carbon arrows, Luminocks, and Excalibur Boltcutter broadheads (3 fixed blades, 150 grains).  The broadheads don't look like much, but they're bad little critters!  I must have clipped a limb on the last shot and it sent the arrow higher than I wanted (not surprising considering what I had to shoot through).  I was going to get him one way or another, even if I had to run him down and stab him!  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 You done great, BC! I would call that buck a solid 12 pointer.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
Thanks John.  O0

The wife and boy had been to a birthday party and then on a haunted hay ride that night.  They didn't get home until around midnight and Mason was half asleep when he came down to the barn to look at it.  Even if he had of been with me Saturday morning, we would have never seen those 2 bucks since we would have probably already been out of the woods.  But I know he would have probably gotten that doe I shot at and missed.  ;)   Those 75 gr. BTHP bullets out of that .223 wouldn't have missed at 20 yds like I did.  ;) ;D

Here's a couple more with Mongo checking him out as I was raising him up on the gambrel.  With the little dog there, it gives you a size perspective and you can see how wide he was.

Both of the dogs are big fans of my deer hunting.  ;D   Especially during the quartering and deboning portions.  I'll usually cut off small scraps left on the bone or small pieces that are hanging and give it to them.  They really like that fresh deer meat.  O0 ;D

I just noticed, "the buzzard" is shameless and was determined to get in at least one of the pictures (look on the bumper in the first one).  ::)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:44:20 AM by Big58cal »

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »
Wow, BC. Great write-up and a serious deer you got there. Not gonna lie that I'm a little jealous. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »
I don't know WHY you took so long to find that deer. After all, you ARE the OFFICIAL tracker. We may have to send you back to Long Island for remedial schooling! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wink: O0 :twisted:

That is a SA-WEET buck, forget about the inside spread. The symmetry and height of the tines makes it a outstanding looking buck and will look super cool on the wall. You decided what kind of pose you're going to mount him in?

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments