December 12, 2017, 04:59:28 PM

Author Topic: A Long Drawn Out Day!  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: A Long Drawn Out Day!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »
Figured I'd need to get a left turn on him to help cover up the hole in his neck.  ::)  Other than that I hadn't really decided much about it.  I know they've come out with all kinds of new forms, turns, and everything else since I had the last one mounted, probably about 8-10 years ago.  Figured I'd see what the taxidermist has available.

As far as "tracking" him.............. ::)  There wasn't a whole lot of actual tracking involved.  I found where he first stood and blood trailed him on around the hill about 50 yds and then jumped him up.  After waiting the 3  hours and starting back in, I wasn't following a blood trail, I was slowly going in the direction that I had heard him go, and then finding him bedded with the binoculars.  O0  Tedious process, but it was paying off.  :)

Man Ks, that deer has been a long time coming!  Shooting a nice deer like this one is cool, but it'll probably be several more years, if ever, that I get another good one like that.  It was just luck that he came by and I was still there.  Since I'm after meat when I go, I generally shoot the first thing I see, buck or doe.  If I had hit that doe Saturday morning, I wouldn't have still been there when he came through.  A big set of antlers like that are cool, but try as I might, I still haven't figured out a way to cook them to make them taste very good.  ;)

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »
A good taxi should be able to fix that hole in the neck, BC.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »
A good taxi should be able to fix that hole in the neck, BC.

Fixing the hole, I'm not too worried about.  It's being able to cover up or hide any hair that the broadhead may have cut.  With the forms they've got now, you can get ones with wrinkles in the neck where they've got their head turned.  If there is any cut hair, hopefully they'll be able to hide it in a fold/wrinkle somewhere.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
Only AFTER meat? How can you be that way? Don't you realize it must be about the trophy??!!
You see, EVERYTHING MUST be measured in terms of size. You can't hunt because you enjoy the outdoors! You can't hunt because you enjoy the taste of venison! You can't hunt because you enjoy the challenge! You can't hunt because you want to be around your friends and family.

In fact you can't have any friends or family. It must be about trophy hunting only. Kill! Kill! Kill!
you understand?!

The only time you can post here is when you are bragging on yourself! You can't congratulate anybody for their success because you're too jealous and insecure. You can never post anything here unless it is about you! All about you! And nothing but except stuff about you. We should start a contest and call it......Its All About Me!

But seriously. Aren't you happy we don't have people like that here? I know I am!(heavy sarcasm)
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D And how about a certain flashlight maker?
He was in a category all by himself!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
Only AFTER meat? How can you be that way? Don't you realize it must be about the trophy??!!
You see, EVERYTHING MUST be measured in terms of size. You can't hunt because you enjoy the outdoors! You can't hunt because you enjoy the taste of venison! You can't hunt because you enjoy the challenge! You can't hunt because you want to be around your friends and family.

In fact you can't have any friends or family. It must be about trophy hunting only. Kill! Kill! Kill!
you understand?!

The only time you can post here is when you are bragging on yourself! You can't congratulate anybody for their success because you're too jealous and insecure. You can never post anything here unless it is about you! All about you! And nothing but except stuff about you. We should start a contest and call it......Its All About Me!

But seriously. Aren't you happy we don't have people like that here? I know I am!(heavy sarcasm)

Hey, I didn't get to my present size by only eating veggies.  ;D   Good fried deer meat and nice cold adult beverage...........  That's the good stuff right there.  O0   Not to mention, I've got growing boy at the house.  Little turd is a bottomless pit!  :o   Hate to see what it's going to be like when he gets to be a teenager!  :o :o :o

The only time I put a tape measure to him was the measure the spread just 'cause I was curious.  I'm not worried about ever getting one big enough for the record book because, 1. I don't have to impress anyone; 2. You can't eat those antlers; 3. Hunting is about getting out to relax, be with friends/family, and having a good time.  The kicker to all of this...............  When I dropped the head/cape off at the taxidermist this morning, the guy looked at it and seemed to think it would make the record book for crossbows (if there is such a thing).  ;D   He would know better than me, with as many as he sees though.  He said he would do a rough score on it for me.  They seemed to think Buckmasters had a category for crossbows.  Don't know.  Even if he does score high enough to make it into it, I won't list him.  ;)   That ain't what I hunt for.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »
I'm shocked! Truly shocked! How can you say such things? Don't you want to see your picture on the cover of Super, Nifty Cool Outdoorsman and Neat Guy magazine? I mean really. That's the only real reason to go hunting.

If you can't shoot something to mount, then just stay home.

Remember that your camo must be totally matched with your socks and underwear. Your  rifle must be a belted magnum sighted in at 400 yards. Check with everyone else you hunt with and make certain that your rifle is the most expensive weapon there. It must be close to three thousand dollars and four thousand would be better.

Make sure you memorize ballistic charts and gun manufacturers info so you can talk a good game.
Drop names of famous outdoor writers you don't know, but who you'll know will impress the other guys there.

Always take the time to criticize other hunters because of the guns they shoot. The optics they use. The camo they wear. The vehicle they drive. Point out what you've hunted and what the other guys haven't. Tell them for all practical purposes you are a professional hunter and your words are dipped in gold.

Actually they're dipped in something else.........

But you know it's all good! :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »
I'm shocked! Truly shocked! How can you say such things? Don't you want to see your picture on the cover of Super, Nifty Cool Outdoorsman and Neat Guy magazine? I mean really. That's the only real reason to go hunting.

Remember that your camo must be totally matched with your socks and underwear. Your  rifle must be a belted magnum sighted in at 400 yards. Check with everyone else you hunt with and make certain that your rifle is the most expensive weapon there. It must be close to three thousand dollars and four thousand would be better.

Make sure you memorize ballistic charts and gun manufacturers info so you can talk a good game.
Drop names of famous outdoor writers you don't know, but who you'll know will impress the other guys there.

Always take the time to criticize other hunters because of the guns they shoot. The optics they use. The camo they wear. The vehicle they drive. Point out what you've hunted and what the other guys haven't. Tell them for all practical purposes you are a professional hunter and your words are dipped in gold.

Sounds just like a guy I used to hunt with. Had the best of everything and wouldn't hesitate to tell you why his was the best and yours was crap. He would have to kill the most deer and the biggest deer or he wasn't happy. The best part was he didn't even eat the meat :idiot2 :idiot2 He was a killer not a hunter!

" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
Sounds just like a guy I used to hunt with. Had the best of everything and wouldn't hesitate to tell you why his was the best and yours was crap. He would have to kill the most deer and the biggest deer or he wasn't happy. The best part was he didn't even eat the meat :idiot2 :idiot2 He was a killer not a hunter!

Was his name Bohica?  :?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Don't forget the ascot!

Facebook Comments