November 19, 2017, 04:41:16 PM

Author Topic: First day  (Read 3902 times)

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
First day
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:52:42 AM »
Up at 5:30 to get ready for first day of squirrel season. Was going to go muzzleloader for deer, but my cousin wants to hunt and we decided to go out for squirrel so he can. He hasn't hunted since he was 12 or so, figure missing a chance at a deer is less important than get a family member back into hunting.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: First day
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Good thinking, fuzz!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »
We started at 8:00am and finished around o'dark hundred. I got one with a shotgun and one with my cousin's 22mag. The one i shot with the 22mag was like 60yards away through some thick stuff and he did a back flip when i hit him. My dad got 5 with a shotgun. And my cousin only got one but he work hard for that one.

What did you learn?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
Congrats Fuzz!  O0   Looks like ya'll got a pretty good mess of them.  Should be some good eatin'  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
Yeah if my cousin has of tuesday we plan on going out again for the morning. Thanks we got 2 meals or so planned with this haul. Pot pie and what my dad calls stew but is more a vegetable soup with bacon and squirrel in it.

What did you learn?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
What, no FRIED squirrel??  :o
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
I have till February to get some for fried squirrel.

What did you learn?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 06:10:42 AM »
I have till February to get some for fried squirrel.

O0 O0 O0 You fellas did good, fuzz!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
Well, it's straight uo 0500. I woke up earlier with a serious case of need to be in the woods with a rifle. Y'all know what that means. The only cure is to just go and stalk and kill the dastardly bucktoothed varmints.

Coffee is brewing and wife is sound asleep. Maybe I will have to sneak out if she's not awake.  :twisted:

I still have some scores to settle with some squirrels from last year.

Snipers forward!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
 :) Well, was my first time out this year and I got 5: 3 fox and 2 greys this morning, 5 shots, 5 squirrels. It was tough going with all the leaves on the trees and tall weeds and brush. Finding some of the dead ones took some time after they were knocked out of the trees.

When I got home and was cleaning the squirrels, I noticed one still had an acorn in its mouth.  :)

Legal limit is 6 squirrels here in Iowa. I think I saw a total of 7 squirrels today, was slim pickings.

.17  HMR rules!  :twisted:

Facebook Comments