November 24, 2017, 12:33:16 AM

Author Topic: 17hmr's  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
17hmr's
« on: January 18, 2005, 10:24:27 PM »
do these guns really do what they say they do. my buddy wants one real bad and he says that there better than 22 long rifle.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 75 yard sniper

17hmr's
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:08:45 AM »
mallard  to say a .17 H.M.R. is better is an under statment !!!

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
17hmr's
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 12:31:11 AM »
The .17HMR is a fast,long-ranged round,It's a little over kill on small game as BC said :twisted: But It WILL kill squirrels and rabbits alot further away then a .22 could,But I can hit a target at 100 yards with my .22.Sorry to say,but my .22 is what I'd stick with.For small game anyway.If I was hunting 'yotes or coons,I'd opt for a .17HMR,It'll kill em dead,and won't kill your ears,or so I've heared anyway.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
17hmr's
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 02:58:45 AM »
I'm just wrapping up my second squirrel season with my .17HMR. I previously used my good ol' .22, which is a good squirrel rifle. But, it's no match for the .17! I am easily making 100+ yard shots with my .17. It is more accurate than a .22, and I am not stretching a shot like I had to with the .22. The .17 is proven more accurate than the .22 and has better wallop. The .22 CCI Stingers do a pretty close second as far as damage to a squirrel head. I am certainly not puting down the .22, I just prefer the .17 for hunting. If you have the opportunity to shoot a .17HMR, I think you will be a convert from the .22 to a .17, also. With a .22, I always went for head shots, so moving to the .17 was no change as far as strategy. And yes, the .17 does more damage, but aren't we rifle hunters SUPPOSED to head shoot  :shock: squirrels and rabbits? One other option with the .17 is to use hollowpoints, which does less damage. You have the newer .17HMR 20gr hollowpoint to use for larger game, too.  I love my .17, and have retired my .22 to the closet.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
17hmr's
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 07:31:48 AM »
The .17 caliber has been around for years.  They never really did that well though because of the bullet designs.  They were full lead, and not built to very high tolerances.  When Hornady decided to "redesign" the .17 cal bullet, they did so to typical centerfire rifle bullet tolerances.  In doing this, they drastically increased the accuracy and performance of the round.  Then, by loading the bullet onto a necked-down .22 mag case, they created a very deadly and accurate round!  With my rifle, I've got the zero set for 50 yds.  Between 25 yds and 100 yds, the point of impact changes about 1/4 - 1/3".  At 100 yds, I can hold dime-sized 5 shot groups.  I've shot targets at 200 yds with my .22, having to hold WAY over the top of it.  I've shot the same target with the .17 HMR at 200 yds, only having to hold at the top of the target to hit it.

IMO (for what it's worth :roll: ), the difference between a .22 and a .17 HMR are night and day.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

Re: 17hmr's
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 09:15:29 AM »
Quote from: Mallard Drake
do these guns really do what they say they do. my buddy wants one real bad and he says that there better than 22 long rifle.
 Kidding right? It blows a 22LR away! :twisted:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
17hmr's
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 08:06:12 PM »
I think that everyone should own one of each, and then they can figure out what they like using them for....

I use my 22 for early season squirrels...  when the leaves are still on the ground, then use the 17 when longer shots open up!!!

Head shots for all.

Oh and don't forget the pellet gun for the "in town don't bother the neighbors" shots.... :twisted:
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
17hmr's
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 02:04:18 PM »
Firekidd is wise. He would make a good Indian. Then, we would at least have ONE wise Indian! :  :D  :D  :D  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline DIXIEBANJO

17hmr's
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 03:03:16 PM »
Here,the only thing good for early season squirrels is a shotgun,so thats what I usually use.Guess you could use a 22 in the hilly "jungles" we have here,but a shotgun is much more practical.When I was 10,I got my oown shotgun and became a shotgun guy right then and there.Used to get in arguements with the kids at school who moslty had 22lr's."My gun can take farther shots that yours,and a shotgun is for birdhunting......shotguns are for bad shots" Then Id say something like,I have used my shotgun for bird hunting,squirrel hunting,deer hunting,bear hunting,and clay shooting.Can you do that with your 22? My gun is better.....NO my gun is better,No mine is!!!! Kids! :roll: And that explains why I still dont like the 22 till this day.Kinda weird I know,but I cant help it.Ive been arguing against the 22 since I was 10.Its like driving a Mustang for years and racing Vets.If somebody asks you if they should get a Vet or a Stang,your gonna say Stang.Especially if you won most of the races. :twisted: Id say.....get a Stang!What does this have to do with a 17hmr? I have no clue.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
17hmr's
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 03:33:08 PM »
well im 16 now and i know what you went through its the same way here im a shotgun guy and everyone else loves rifles but when it comes to wing shooting i take the field over there rifles.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments