November 23, 2017, 07:21:11 PM

Author Topic: 17hmr's  (Read 3911 times)

travo

17hmr's
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »
id say, if you want to make a sport of it, use a 22. if you are a terrible squirrel hunter like me, shoot them out of your pickup window with a shotgun. then, after you miss, you can always run em down.

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
17hmr's
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 07:40:45 PM »
sounds fun well have to do that some time
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
17hmr's
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 07:44:16 PM »
Quote from: travo
id say, if you want to make a sport of it, use a 22. if you are a terrible squirrel hunter like me, shoot them out of your pickup window with a shotgun. then, after you miss, you can always run em down.
 Thats just it.....Ive never been into sport.I like eating a lot more! :lol:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
17hmr's
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 07:47:14 PM »
ahh come on it cant be that bad.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: 17hmr's
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 08:13:11 PM »
We have another hunter hooked on the .17HMR! I was working in my shop when a work pal stopped by. He said he couldn't stand it anymore, hearing another work buddy of ours talking about our .17HMR squirrel hunting kills. He said he just HAD to shoot a .17 or he would go crazy wondering just how great the rifles shoot.  He wanted to get one for hunting but found it hard to beleive the claims of .17 shooters. Well, we tossed some irons in my truck and ran to the outdoor range. I loaded clips while he shot. I thought Gary's eyes were going glassy :D a few times when he was blowing up water filled pop cans and a few other homemade targets. He then took some 75 and 100+ yard shots. He got even more excited. :shock: I mean, if that rifle was a gal, he would have proposed to it, even though he is already married.  He was really impressed that he could watch the bullet hit while he was still looking through the crosshairs. And the devastation was really something to see. The cans were blowing to pieces and there was a large cloud of mist, almost like smoke, every time he shot a can. I mean, the guy was obsessed with blowing up cans! Well, he has a shooting story to tell the guys when we get to work tomorrow. Another fella we work with was supposed to go with us, but begged off,  :-[claiming weakness of health. He missed a fun shoot, and ol' Gary is really going to rub it in to the wuss that begged to stay home.  :twisted: Now, ol' Gary is saving his pennies and nickles for his .17. He says he HAS TO have his new rifle ready by next squirrel season opening. Ain't life grand?  :) :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 10:21:59 PM »
Yup, 17's are the way to go. I varment hunt, and love them. I have a new England and use the Hornady hollows. You get a nice kill with little damage. The only thing that i have found is having to adjust for wind and having a really clear shot since they are such a fast velocity fire. However, i haven't used it for smaller game. I usually use a 12 gauge for that. I know..cheater cheater....oh well! LOL

LadyT
Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 09:07:05 PM »
Cheater!  The only time you should use a shotgun for anything is when a rifle isn't legal! :D

John, you should be ashamed of yourself.  The poor guy was apparently mentally unstable and was in need of a "fix".  You're like a dealer giving people their fix! :mrgreen:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 10:12:20 AM »
 :mrgreen:Yep, I feel really guilty getting ol' Gary hooked!  :wink:He hasn't been the same since Sunday. He is asking when we can get out again with THE  rifle. Our other .17HMR hunting buddy will be with us with his rifle next time, so maybe I will get a turn to shoot my rifle at the range. Gary was having so much fun shooting my .17 that I just loaded clips and enjoyed watching him shoot. You know how big kids are with toys. Yep, he is mainlining, BC. :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 01:08:54 AM »
First time's free. Then, when you're forever hooked, you get charged out the butt.  :wink:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 11:33:55 AM »
Cheater!  The only time you should use a shotgun for anything is when a rifle isn't legal! :D

John, you should be ashamed of yourself.  The poor guy was apparently mentally unstable and was in need of a "fix".  You're like a dealer giving people their fix! :mrgreen:
Yep, once he gets his .17, he is going to be compelled to be in the woods every morning season is open. His bow will be covered with cobwebs and dust and he will be leaving notes to his wife that he has gone squirrel huntin'. He and I work the same shift and have the same days off every week. Yep, I know what's coming! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Facebook Comments