October 22, 2017, 03:24:11 PM

Author Topic: Another Long Boring Day  (Read 664 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Another Long Boring Day
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
Got home about 9:30 PM tonight from hunting.  Got up at 4:30 this morning and headed out about 4:50 AM.  Got up to the blind about 6:45 AM and stayed there all day.  It was so foggy this morning, you couldn't have cut it with a knife!  :x   Had a deer come over the ridge about 7:30 this morning, but it was too dark and foggy to see what it was.  The fog finally burned off around 10:30 this morning.  Remembered to take my range finder with me and checked the distance down to the tree where I missed that doe at the day I got the buck.  26 yards.  I put the 20 yd crosshair on the deer shot under the thing that morning.  :?   Even at 26 yds, I still should have hit the thing, a little low, but I still should have hit it.  That arrow is traveling around 310 fps and it doesn't drop that much between 20 & 30.

Anyway, I sat there all day today, read magazines, watched squirrels, cleaned out my fingernails, wiped the .327 pistol off, checked the screws on the crossbow to make sure they were tight, ranged different areas around the blind, used the binoculars and looked at different things around the area, added some more limbs/leaves to the blind, cleaned old stuff out of my wallet, watched some buzzards flying around, etc, etc, etc.  ::)   As you can tell, I was highly entertained all day. :uglystupid2 :crazy2   Had a gray fox come in to the corn sometime this afternoon and started munching down.  I got the bow up and had settled the crosshairs on him and was just waiting for him to turn a little before I popped him.  I've been wanting to get a gray fox to have mounted, so this one was going to be the one!  O0   Of course, he decided he'd had enough to eat and took off trotting up over the ridge, not offering a shot.  :x

The one good thing was that there was a constant breeze blowing out of the N-NW today, which is perfect for the location.  Around 6:30 this afternoon though, the breeze quit and was really gentle and non-existent at times.  Of course, that would be when the deer showed up.  :x   2 does started down off of the opposite ridge, but stopped when they caught my scent from where the wind was really gentle and letting my scent spread out more.  :tickedoff   One caught my scent and started blowing and went around the back side of the ridge.  The other just stood there trying to figure out what was going on for a while.  She finally followed after the first one.

That was pretty much it.  ::)   When it got so I couldn't make out the corn anymore, it was time to leave.  It was "technically" well past "legal" shooting time, but the way I hunt, if I can still see, I still hunt.  I don't keep track of the sunrise/sunset times (which change daily), and don't constantly look at my watch.  When I can't make out anything at about 20 yds, it's time to go.  Got back to the truck around 8:00.  And of course, when I was leaving, within about a half mile, I had to slam on the brakes and dang near stop on the little one-lane road to let 5 does cross the road in front of me.  :tickedoff

This next weekend I'm going to try to thin out the squirrels some down there.  While I'm at it, I'm going to check out a couple of other places down there to see if there's any traffic in the area.  Depending on what I find, I may switch locations.  O0

I know one thing............  The bucks are in a serious pre-rut down there. :o   Just walking in this morning and out this afternoon, I counted 6 scrapes.  While I was in the blind, I saw 4-5 new rubs that weren't there 2 weeks ago.  One of the scrapes I found also had a rub there on the little tree.  The tree was torn up pretty bad and had a decent sized limb torn out of it.  :o   The buck I got was a good one, but there's still another really good one down there to, based on the rubs, scrapes, and the limb being ripped out.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Another Long Boring Day
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
Bum luck, BC! At least you had some entertainment during a boring day. That gray fox was lucky, huh?

I have killed a lot of foxes but only one gray, the only one I have ever seen. And that was almost 50 years ago.  :roll: I was on a long walk after leaving the timber, walking along a fence row towards my car when I jumped the gray fox. The fox was hunting into the wind along the fence in tall grass. When he spotted me, it was too late for him.  :twisted: :buck2

Good luck to ya, BC! I hope you can make it out today to settle a score with those deer!  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
Nah, not going today.  I like to hunt all day (for deer) and don't like to do it on Sunday.  It's usually too late in the evening/night when I get back.

Got some stuff to do around here today anyway.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »
Finally remembered to download the pictures off the camera.  Here's some I took mid-day of the one rub/scrape that the tree was torn up so bad.  :o

That ain't no little deer doing that!  :o   Usually, if 2 buck are together, the bigger of the 2 is in the back.  I wonder if of the 2 I saw, the one I shot was the smaller of the 2...............  :?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:48:13 PM by Big58cal »

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
Bucks are chasing the does really hard here. My workpal was hunting at our workplace. He was in his tree stand yesterday morning when 6 bucks chased a doe right past his stand. A few minutes later, the bucks chased the doe back to his stand and surrounded the doe right under his stand. The doe was completely winded and was huffing and puffing with her tongue hanging out.

He had all the deer right under his stand. picked out the best one, and arrowed it.

The buck turned out to be a big 12 pointer and field dressed at 238 pounds.

I don't think the does are actually in heat yet, but the bucks are sure ready.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
use nutz as a deer dog. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments