December 11, 2017, 06:12:07 AM

Author Topic: What Gun Are You Going To Use?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
What Gun Are You Going To Use?
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
With a lot of the gun seasons for deer getting ready to start (and already started), what kind of gun are you planning on using?  :?

I try to use a different one each year just to spread things around a little and get a little variety in things.  Got out my "list" last night looking for a different caliber than what I've already used, and preferably with a scope.  Saw a Marlin 1894 lever action in .45 Colt with a Leupold Alaskan scope on it that caught my eye.  :)   Got to digging around in the safe and found it and put it in the front.  I've got some .45 Colt ammo, but I'm going to go today to get some more.  I looked through the scope and it looked like the crosshairs were off a little, so I'm going to loosen the screws up and get it straight.  We'll have to see how it shoots in the next day or two.  O0

So what about the rest of you?  What are you planning on taking?  A tried & true meat getter or something else you've acquired recently?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
Re: What Gun Are You Going To Use?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
Just using my 270.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
Just using my 270.

I've killed more deer than I care to count with my .270.  O0   A girl that I work with, her husband is just getting into hunting, so I offered my Savage .270 to him to use if he wanted to.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
The score on my 270 is zero. That is even before i got it. Hope to change that this year though.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
I will be using Ole reliable......... Ruger M77 in .308.   Still haven't finished building my .270 from last year.  I will also be carrying my Marlin .44mag with open sights.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

BBF

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »
My big push this year is to start using cast bullets, my own or commercial for the 45-70 Govt.
I've got one set up for local conditions where ranges start at 20 yards and won't get beyond 75.

The other 45-70 is destined to go to Maine and that one is still a pita >:( to get a decent load with cast bullets that are above plinker level.

That rifle has a jacketed bullet load that will rock your world when you touch it off. :shock:

Standby for this year is Rem 742 in 30-06

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
Got the little .45 Colt sighted in.  O0   Now we'll have to see if I get lucky enough to have anything come out in front of me.  >:D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:55:16 AM »
That there lever rifle has some really good lookin wood for the stock, BC. O0 Good luck.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:48:51 AM »
That there lever rifle has some really good lookin wood for the stock, BC. O0 Good luck.
  O0 O0 O0 O0 Yeah!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »
I thought my CVA 50 cal. would knock em down but these deer are tuff this year! 3 shots for the season and only put a small 7pter in the freezer. Lost a nice doe and had a limb get me on another!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Facebook Comments