November 18, 2017, 05:21:49 AM

Author Topic: Which .45 Colt Ammo?  (Read 10945 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Which .45 Colt Ammo?
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
Started looking at getting some .45 Colt ammo to hunt with and have narrowed it down to 2.  You fellers that have more experience with the round than I do, which one is better?  I'm going to be shooting it out of a Marlin 1894 Carbine.

45 Colt Barnes Vor-Tx 200gr. XPB HP Ammo
This is .45 Colt Barnes Vor-Tx 200gr. XPB Hollow Point Ammo. Barnes all-copper XPB bullets offer dramatically increased penetration over conventional jacketed lead-core bullets. These lead-free bullets provide superior expansion and weight retention. Energy transfer is unsurpassed, making them ideal for hunting or self-defense. Barnes’ XPB bullets are exceptionally accurate and leave no residue to harm shooters in practice environments.

45 Long Colt Corbon Hunter 300gr. +P JSP Ammo
This is 45 Long Colt Corbon Hunter 300gr. +P Jacketed Soft Point Ammo. Corbon has given the 45 COLT cartridge hunting loads worthy of the designation: +P. These are true high performance loads with the attached +P as an additional caution. In the appropriate modern hunting pistol, There .45 COLT +P loads give near 44 Magnum performance with markedly less recoil. This is NOT plinking ammo, this load should only be used in those guns that have the steel to handle the power. Guns in .45 COLT that are built on heavy duty frames, such as the Ruger, Freedom Arms, Colt Anaconda, and Thompson-Center Contender will handle this load with authority. This load is NOT intended for handguns such as older Smith & Wesson, Colt Single Action Army, or the Colt clones imported single action revolvers.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Which .45 Colt Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »
I think both those rounds would be good. I would give both a try and select the one that groups the best.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
 I prefer lead in my bullets. ^-^

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
the .45 is legal here for deer, but don't know anybody who hunts with one. do know a .45 freak who has several and killed a few hogs with the 300 grain +P corbon.

does buffalo bore make .45 in heavy loads?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
I got to digging around in the ammo safe and found some 225 grain hollow point semi wadcutters that I used to sight the beast in with.  There was also some 225 grain jacketed hollow point cartridges in there that looked to be a pretty good hunting load.  I'm going to get out and try the jacketed loads this week to see how they fly and what they do.  I'll still probably get a box or two of the 300 grain Corbon to see how they do.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

BBF

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
IMO start with some standard Rem or WW stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if that is all you need.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
IMO start with some standard Rem or WW stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if that is all you need.

It's not a matter of "what will make do".  ::)   This is GPS!!!  We do everything overkill!  >:D

Ordered 2 boxes of the +P 300 grain Corbon.  O0 >:D   That ought to put a whuupin' on somethin'!!!  :buck2

John Andrews Is My Hero!

BBF

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
It might even loosen something up. :roll:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
It might even loosen something up. ::)

Nah, I doubt that'll happen.  I shoot 300 grain loads out of my .44 mag pistol.  I figure even with the loads being +P, out of the rifle they won't be too bad.  O0   Plus, the scope, base, and mounts are all Leupold.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

Nah, I doubt that'll happen.  I shoot 300 grain loads out of my .44 mag pistol.  I figure even with the loads being +P, out of the rifle they won't be too bad.  O0   Plus, the scope, base, and mounts are all Leupold.  O0
  O0 O0 O0 O0 Back in '65, I was with some guys hunting mule deer in Utah. I watched one of my pals standing alongside of me drop a big mulie buck at 300 yards with a .44 Mag rifle, double lung shot.  :shock: :) The buck just stood there for a bit and then dropped straight down, like all his legs just disappeared from under him.

The pistol bullet lodged on the other side of the rib cage, just under the hide. Ther bullet punched thorugh ribs. The rifle was a Ruger .44 Mag and he was using factory loads.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments