November 17, 2017, 04:07:28 PM

Author Topic: Which .45 Colt Ammo?  (Read 10942 times)

BBF

Re: Which .45 Colt Ammo?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »
He must have held several feet above the buck to get that slug to drop into the right spot. :shock:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
He must have held several feet above the buck to get that slug to drop into the right spot. :shock:
Exactly what he did. He rapped off three shots over the deer, and one connected. He popped off the rounds to make the deer move from behind a buckbrush bush  so his pal could get a better shot. He claimed he didn't actually try to hit it. That was BS, he tried and did whack it. The pal knew he was trying to hit it and wasn't happy because he of course, wanted to shoot his own deer.  :sad:

We were shooting across a moutainside canyon while the deer were moving single file up a path across the canyon, at about 300 yards distance. All of us had dead bucks down within just a few yards of the one that caught the .44 slug. We were using .30/06 rifles with factory Remington Bronze Tip ammo.

Ruger had just came out with that .44 Mag carbine and my pal bought one of the first ones. He studied the ballistics of the round before we went hunting. He wanted to bag one with the .44 in the brush as we climbed the mountain. He didn't get the opportunity because we started climbing at 3:00 AM and the deer just did a sneak up the mountain on the other side of the canyon.

When it got light enough to see, the other side of the canyon was plastered with deer making their way through the snowline, walking single file up the path.  :twisted: It was a simple turkey shoot. All we had to do was wait until our selected deer stepped into a clear spot and stop.

It took me two days to drag my deer out. The buck was completely hairless from the neck down because of the rough drag. Never again! Y'all ever see a completely naked deer, no hair?  :roll: ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »
buffalo bore does make heavy loads for the .45lc i saw it in my cabelas shooting catalog.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
The .45 Colt ammo came in today.  >:D   It's supposed to be cold tomorrow, and as early as it's been getting dark since we went back on "regular" time, it's dark by the time I get home in the evenings.  But I'm taking off work all day on Friday.  O0   I've got the scope set in for 225 grain loads.  These being 300 grain +P, I don't know if the POI will change or not.  Guess I'll find out Friday.  ;)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
 O0 Good luck, BC!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!  >:D >:D

Shot the new .45 Colt ammo just a little while ago.  It's about 2X in power what those other loads were.  When they go off, you know it!  O0   I can't imagine shooting those things out of a pistol.  :o

Pretty much the same POI that I had with the 225 gr loads.  It was close enough that I didn't want to mess with moving the scope.  They were about 1/2" higher than the others at 50 yds.  That close, I'm not going to mess with.  ;)

Did I mention that they've got some recoil to them?  ;D   Now, they're nowhere near a .270, .444, etc, and they don't "hurt", but you can definitely feel it.  So much so that if the boy decides to go, I think I may put the normal 225 grain loads back in.  They're still more than capable of killing a deer, but won't thump him as bad.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
Yeah, when it comes to loads and what it is actually going take to do the job, some loads are just a lot of overkill.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
Yeah, when it comes to loads and what it is actually going take to do the job, some loads are just a lot of overkill.

I'm all about overkill!  O0 >:D

The bullets in those things are a jacketed soft point.  They did a good job on the deer yesterday.  O0   Lungs and liver were both mush.  I normally keep the liver, but this one was torn up so bad, I didn't keep it.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 08:37:46 AM »

I'm all about overkill!  O0 >:D

The bullets in those things are a jacketed soft point.  They did a good job on the deer yesterday.  O0   Lungs and liver were both mush.  I normally keep the liver, but this one was torn up so bad, I didn't keep it.
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Deer died quick!

Facebook Comments