October 17, 2017, 06:34:47 PM

Author Topic: 22/250=Deer? Kinda  (Read 1873 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
22/250=Deer? Kinda
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »

HUMMM!

I don't think it will be my "Go To" deer gun. I found out It Will Kill a deer,kinda...

I'm shooting a TC Coyote 22/250 with a 4X12 Redfield. A barrens 45gr triple shock on 38 gr Varget should be going around 4000 fps. Sounds good? Well. It shoots GREAT it'll shoot'm through the same hole all day.We ran a cross a nice little 4 point on a hillside at 159 yards, sound asleep . He was all scrunched up head on the ground with his legs all tucked under and broadside. I slid up to the crest of my side of the brake and leveled the Redfield on the sweet spot just behind the front shoulder. The wind was blowing from his butt to his nose AND ,yup, when I shot the wind caught it and pushed it almost dead center shoulder, It whacked him hard but he got up. I put anorther one a little farther back, WHACK again he stumbled a little but stayed on his feet and was heading DOWN, not a good spot to go. I put anorther one ( was going to be between his eyes) in the base of his horn knocking it off along with his ear. Now I have to reload my buddy behind me was laughing his butt off and remarked,You going to wound him to death?All this and he is still going in to the "Hole" I slapped the clip in and shot again Whack, and again Whack, He stopped and was shaking One shell left and he had about 4 steps and he would be a half day ,pack out. I tried a heart shot again , Kawhack and he fell. Crap What a messy kill. I'm not to impressed with a 45 gr Barrens for deer. I'm used to a 300 45/70 slug, He would not have gotten up from the first shot. It turned out to be an easy game cart trip out to the road and truck, could have been WAY harder in about 3 steps. I'll try some thing a bit different next try with my coyote gun, May be a 53 gr HUMMM we'll see.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

BBF

Re: 22/250=Deer? Kinda
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
Looking at the pix, it is a good sized critter. When you started the butchering, what sort of damage did you find? I've never shot a deer with a 22-250 but a good number of smaller ones with the 223 Rem. and a Hdy  60 gr HP. That was way before Barnes saw the light of day. In all cases it was instand lights out tits up. :twisted:

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
Looking at the pix, it is a good sized critter. When you started the butchering, what sort of damage did you find? . :twisted:

Our Mule deer are BIG!!

I dropped him off at the processor on the way in so I don't know. I do Know both shoulders were smashed the lungs where both shot and a hole through the hart I don't know what kept him going. All the bullets exited the deer but the exit was about the same .
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
Doesn't sound like it was the bullet or gun's fault.............  ::)

;D ;D ;D

The deer I shot with the 55 grain .223 Rem a few years ago only went about 10 yards or so before taking a dirt nap.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
My father didn't hunt when I was growing up so I had to find someone who could teach me the ins and outs. I was lucky and found two men who knew more about deer hunting than I would in 4 lifetimes. One did all his hunting with a 12 gauge with buckshot and was the man who got me into chasing deer with dogs. The other was a man who shot a  model 700 .22-250 with factory loads. This man killed well over 200 deer in several states over the years, and I never knew him to need more than one shot. He killed whitetail over 200 pounds and out past 300 yards. I know for certain he killed one buck that dressed 160 pounds, at 344 yards, because I was there and measured the distance. He shot the deer through the lungs and it ran about 12 paces and went down for good.

When I was younger and knew more than everybody else I believed that certain calibers should not be allowed to deer hunt with. As I got older and began to see things for myself and not just take the word of some outdoor writer who may or may not know what he's talking about, I saw it was the shooter and not the bullet that killed the deer.

If it's a legal caliber and you can hit where you aim it, then by all means do so.

In the end it's all on the shooter. :wink: :wink: O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

BBF

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »
I've read a number of posts from folks that love the Barnes and a bunch that are done with them. I prefer lead in my bullets if it is allowed in your State.  My Province does not at this time.

Does Nosler make a PT in .22 cal?

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »
Would definately go with a heavier bullet if you're gonna make a habit of shooting deer with the 22-250. My buddy in Va. carry's one while on the tractor when harvesting beans, he has never lost one but he only takes neck shots. 99% are DRT and the others leave one hell of a blood trail. That tends to happen when a 55 grain hollow point blows out the jugular.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments