October 17, 2017, 07:51:37 PM

Author Topic: Anybody scoring????  (Read 3050 times)

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
Anybody scoring????
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Been so busy at work the last couple weeks that I have not been on much. Just wanting to know if anybody is making Gutpiles other than BC. I know that little thing he shot prob put everybody else down in the dumps, but still, we can talk about our itty bitty deer and how we got what we got. So let me hear from you all! Who has fresh Hamburger and loins in the freezer???

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Anybody scoring????
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Ned's dad has been racking them up.  O0   That may be about it though.  I've been trying for weeks to get a doe and can't find one to save my sou!!  :tickedoff

Our gun season opens this weekend and I'm hoping between the 200 lbs of corn I dumped out near the saddle and bucks/hunters pushing the does will bring one up by me.  O0

As for my little deer........  ::)   That was a freak!  I got EXTREMELY lucky!  Everything aligned just right, from me missing that doe, seeing the buck, and then sticking with him like a hound dog.  O0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:58:06 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
Its really hard to score when the season is even in yet. But two weeks and i should be good.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »
Will FINALLY be in a tree this Friday and Sat. for a quick 2 day hunt. The weather looks good and the rut is pretty much on where I will be going. Then it's one week back to work then off for The week of Thanksgiving. I am hoping for many gutpiles in the next 3 weeks!!! :twisted: :twisted:

And yes dad has been laying the smack down......he has killed 5 already an 8, 9 and a huge 6 and 2 does.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
I got out of my patrol truck last night to check a building by a high fenced area. About 10 feet from me was the gate for the fenced off area.

Suddenly, an nice 10 pointer came running along the fence and stopped by the closed gate. He turned and faced me like he wanted something.  ???

We stood there looking at each other for a couple of minutes while I slowly unsnapped my holster, not sure of the buck's intent. If the buck was aggressive enough to take me on, I was going to shoot him. We can't afford to have a deer that would be dangerous where people work. The close by building is an office building.

Our deer in the installation are really close to rut and the bucks are chasing the does.

Finally, the buck decided whatever goes through deer's heads, and walked back the way he came. I didn't see any deer on the other side of the tall gate.  ???
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »
Suddenly, an nice 10 pointer came running along the fence and stopped by the closed gate. He turned and faced me like he wanted something.  :?

He wanted to be fed.  DUH!  ::)   I mean, it is a petting zoo you know.  ::)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »
As most of you know, I aint the greatest shot in the world, So as our season opened on the 22nd of October, I went out on opening morning to one of the stands on our club that has been productive just about every opening morning for the past 4 years. I was in the stand about 2 hrs and had a Doe come out at about 120 yards. I pulled the 270 down on her and shot. She stood there and kept feeding. I shot 4 more times at her and she paid me no mind!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff. So, I got out of the stand and went to the truck and pulled a target out. Set it at 100 yards on a 4 x4 pallet. shot twice and didnt even hit the pallet! I moved the pallet up to 50 yards and shot 1 time and was hitting 8" low! I had to adjust the scope up 24 clicks to get it an 1" high at 100. The 2nd Saturday, I didnt see anything and I was pretty down on myself for letting my rifle scope get off that much. Last Saturday my son and I hunted in the morning and we didn't see much since the wind was blowing 15 to 20 mph. My dad called and said he was going back out after lunch, so we went back to the club around 4 pm. I went to the stand where I killed the 8pt last year and about 15 mins before dark, a spike stepped out into the food plot at 75 yards. I drilled him and he ran right to me and fell over. 20 yard drag and he was in the truck! Just goes to show you, that no matter how busy you are, Shoot your rifle before the season!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:17:57 PM by J-BUCKS »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
Congrats on the deer!!!  O0   Should be some really good eating!

Now..... How old are you?  How long have you been hunting?  ::)   How many deer have you missed because "your scope was off"?  I'm beginning to see somewhat of a pattern here............  ::) ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
Last time I looked at my driver's license it said I was 44! LOL! I am one of those guys that shooting deer is never automatic. I have done better in the fact that I have actually killed a deer every year for the past 5 or 6 years. I don't really know what it is about shooting a high power. It just seems I have to miss 1st before I can get it right every year! Oh, and the ragging I get from my son and my brother has become part of our hunting season every year. I have done a lot to try and make it better but I just don't know. Changed rifles, shot open sites, put on a scope, took off a scope, bought a different scope. Just part of my deer hunting stories now I guess.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »

He wanted to be fed.  DUH!  ::)   I mean, it is a petting zoo you know.  ::)
  :roll: ;D Well, yeah, more or less.

But out in the remote areas of the place, the deer are regular wild deer.  :roll:

O0 Nice deer, J! And you had a nice SHORT DRAG to your vehicle.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments