October 23, 2017, 02:22:09 AM

Author Topic: Guess I'm Done For The Year....  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Guess I'm Done For The Year....
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:51:44 AM »
Took Friday off work to sight the little Marlin 1894-S in with the 300 grain .45 Colt +P loads, which didn't take but 4 shots. Figured since it was half way decent, I'd clean the leaves up out of the front yard. When I was dumping a load of leaves, I twisted wrong and tweeked my back a little.  :x   Not good since Saturday was our opening day of gun season. Even though my back was hurting pretty bad, I went ahead and got up a 4:00 AM, got dressed and drove down to the farm.

My brother was "supposed to" come in but apparently he's soft up there in Wisconsin and decided not to.  ::)   Since he wasn't going to come in, I decided to hunt where he normally hunts. I hadn't hunted it this year so I figured I'd give it a try. Sat there until about 10:30 this morning and all I saw was about 8 turkeys.  :tickedoff 

There was 6 longbeards and 2 jakes in the bunch. The longbeards were just that. They had about 8-10" beards.  O0   The pictures aren't that great because my little camera is a POS and the turkeys were around 50 yards away.

Anyway, after sitting there until about 10:30 and not seeing anything, I said the heck with that spot and walked on over to where I normally hunt at. Got to my little blind around 11 AM and sat for the rest of the day.

The scent wafers you see hanging are because the wind was swirling today. It's best to have a North or NW wind when hunting the area, but there was a SW wind today about half the time. The other time, it was mainly comng from the NW, but was swirling around quite a bit. I had several scent wafers at the bind hoping that the scent would help cover my scent (even though I had sprayed down with some Silver XP to help cover the scent).

I sat there all afternoon and didn't see jack until about 5:10 PM this afternoon. I had a little deer come in different than they normally come. I kept hoping that one would come in from one of the other directions, because the wind kept messing with me in the direction he came in from. Anyway, the deer started coming in, but would throw it's head up and smell every now and then. I could tell the thing had gotten my wind, but with ithe way it was swirling, it couldn't tell exactly where i was. I should have known that since the thing didn't bolt and start blowing that it was a stupid little button buck.  :x   Anyway, with the little 2.5X scope, I couldn't see the buttons and it kept it's head tilted back smelling as it came it. Finally he got in a spot where I could get a shot, but I had to move the gun around a little to get it past some of the stuff I had around the blind. The little .45 Colt +P load was sent on it's way. The deer ran back the way it came, but stopped and dropped after about 80 yds. The deer was quarting toward me, so to save the meat on the shoulder, I aimed a little further back to stay away from it. Took out the lungs and the liver.  O0

Nothing like a good blood trail, that you don't really need.  ;D After the shot, he ran off and I watched him fall.

Got my stuff together, walked over to the deer, grabbed him, and pulled him on down about 50 yds to the food plot.

Not quite as big as I had hoped, and a button buck, but I'm tickled that I got him.  O0   That one filled out my State-Wide tag so I guess I'm done.  I could get another tag, good for 2 antlerless deer, but I don't know if the herd can stand the extra harvest down there.  The poplulation pretty much crashed 2-3 years ago and is still in the process of coming back up.  I "may" still get another tag (and a turkey tag) and go back up there with the crossbow to see what I can get.  Still haven't decided.
I had hoped that I could leave him hanging overnight and skin him out tomorrow, but I checked the weather on my phone and it wasn't supposed to get out of the 50's overnight.  :x   Got him skinned, quartered, deboned, and in the cooler soaking out.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Guess I'm Done For The Year....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 Nice going and pics, BC! You sure have some good eating there.

Under the circumstances, you did really good! I would have dropped the hammer on that deer and called it a day, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
You can't beat a big bullet going slow for getting the job done without messing up a lot of meat. O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
You can't beat a big bullet going slow for getting the job done without messing up a lot of meat. O0

Those +P loads were pushing that bullet at 1300 fps. O0   There was some bruising around the entry/exit holes, but not too bad.  The lungs and liver were torn up pretty bad though.  >:D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »

Those +P loads were pushing that bullet at 1300 fps. O0   There was some bruising around the entry/exit holes, but not too bad.  The lungs and liver were torn up pretty bad though.  >:D
  O0 O0 O0 O0 That's doing a humane job on the deer, too. A good load and bullet like your loads insures maximum killing power.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
Way to go!! That is a sweet looking rifle too! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »
Thanks Bo!  O0   It's a nice little gun.  I can see right now I'm going to have to take it out a few more times.

I got to thinking about it and I had planned on getting only 1 doe this year due to the low population down there.  Well, since I haven't gotten my doe yet .......................  >:D   O0   ;D

Our gun season goes out 11/21, so I've still got this weekend and next.  I may head back out one day and see if I can get a doe with the little .45 Colt carbine.  I'm not too worried about getting another with the gun though.  I'd rather get it with the crossbow.  Besides, there's a guy on Excalibur's discussion forum that makes strings for the bows.  I've got one of his strings on my bow now.  As sort of a 'thank you' to the folks that use his strings, he's doing a give away of a dozen arrows to the winner of a picture contest for critters that are taken with a crossbow with one of his strings.  Of course, I would have to forget to take pictures of me and the buck I got with the crossbow!  :tickedoff   So now I've got to try to get another with the crossbow and get some pictures of it, the bow, and me.  ;)

Not that it really matters, but I took a couple of the pictures and added arrows showing where both the 12 pt I got with the crossbow back in October, and the button buck were standing when I shot.  You can click on the pictures and they'll enlarge.  O0

I've had the meat from the button soaking out in ice water since Saturday night.  Finally started cutting it up last night.  I forgot how quick it is to cut a 6 month old deer.  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

BBF

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »
 I had a chat with my neighbor tonite. He says only the coyotes are getting deer this year in our area. I'm not seeing a thing.  :sad:

WAIT !!
The Missus is outside yesterday PM doing whatever........ Next thing is the little useless "chit" of a dog is going into orbit.

The wife WTH !! :shock:
 Looks after  that little @##$%^& who is is going hell bent for leather after a Doe on our back lawn and I was in the house, rifle and ammo as well as Doe tag all here. !! :tickedoff

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »
Sounds like you need a bigger and faster dog.  O0   Catch'em with the dog, cut their throat, and save the ammo.  O0 ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:37:39 AM »
Sounds like you need a bigger and faster dog.  O0   Catch'em with the dog, cut their throat, and save the ammo.  O0 ;D
  O0 ;D Yeah!

Facebook Comments