October 21, 2017, 12:00:03 PM

Author Topic: Getting soft I reckon  (Read 1347 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
Getting soft I reckon
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Made a quick run to eastern NC for a two day hunt with a buddy. My buddy was meet hunting since he only hunts 3-4 days a year and I managed to put him in good spots twice and he killed 3 does. I was buck hunting since the rut "should" have been going strong but I didn't see the activity I was expecting. I saw nothing on Friday but Sat. was the interesting day. Set up over looking a short cut over in my climber and around 7am I decided to rattle some. Never had it work before but what the hell right? Five minutes after I stopped I hear footsteps in the woods behind. I little spike walks up right behind me and stares out into the cutover. He starts to ease off so I use the can call for fun. He circles back and walks out into the cutover 30 yards to my left. Suddenly a pretty 4 point comes out behind him. I never lifted my gun and enjoyed watching them. I should have had my camera out of my bag because they began sparring. They finally walked off and I waited about an hour and rattled again. To my surprise another spike and a 3 point came in just 10 minutes after I stopped. The spike hung back a little but the 3 point came on out into the cut over and right to me. He began eating acorns right under my tree. I didn't touch my gun this time either but I did have my camera. These 2 finally eased off and I didn't see anything else.  Just don't have the desire to shoot little bucks on our farms anymore. Would rather see my kids get them, plus does eat better. :twisted:
Second spike

The 3 point

Sat. evening I set up over a hidden bean field and right at the end of legal shooting time a buck came trotting out cutting across the back corner. I bleated to stop him but rushed the long shot and didn't give him a chance to fully stop. My bad. I know I missed cause he stopped after I shot and just stood there looking around with his tail flicking as I tried working the bolt for another round. He walked into the woods just as I got the gun back on my shoulder. I could tell in the scope he was outside his ears. Oh well, just means he is still around for my week long vacation and now I know where a nice one is hiding.

P.S.    I got sent a text pic from a forum member who killed a STUD in Kentucky Sat. Hopefully he will post the story and pics.

Ned

Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Getting soft I reckon
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »
 O0 You sure had some great entertainment , Ned!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
P.S.    I got sent a text pic from a forum member who killed a STUD in Kentucky Sat. Hopefully he will post the story and pics.

Ned

Already did...........  http://www.deerhuntingtoday.com/deer-hunting/guess-i'm-done-for-the-year/

;D ;D ;D

They've been racking up some good deer this year in the state.  O0   I've seen some pictures of some monsters so far.  :o

As far as you getting soft Ned ........  Well, I'm not going to dispute that.  ;D   But it's good to let those little ones walk.  When I used to hunt every weekend several years ago, I'd let the little ones walk too.  They don't grow any bigger in your freezer.  ;)   The last 5-6 years though, I've not hunted as much, so I was shooting the first thing I saw, buck or doe, just for the meat.  This year though, since the population has started to come back up a little down there, hunting has actually started to be "fun" again.  I've hunted more this year than I have the past 3-4 years combined.  I'm still after meat, but will be letting the little bucks walk whenever I can.  O0   The deer will mean more to Mason or some other kid than it would to me.  :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
HA BC, not you my friend!!! I don't even have your cell phone number. 

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
Check out the topic I just posted about the KY Studs.  Maybe it's in there.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:24 PM »
Hang in there Ned, you'll get 'em! O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
I'm not getting soft, I'm just getting slower.  :roll:

I have also decided I have killed my share of deer and big game. It's time to leave some of them to you young folks.  :wink:

Besides, some of the younger generation have been neglecting the squirrel population, so I have undertaken the task of eliminating the dastardly bucktoothed critters.  :wink: :roll:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
I'm not getting soft, .........

That's not what your wife says.....  ::)

Besides, some of the younger generation have been neglecting the squirrel population, so I have undertaken the task of eliminating the dastardly bucktoothed critters.  ;) ::)

At the rate you're going, more die of old age in your neck of the woods than you take out with that junky Savage.  ::)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »

That's not what your wife says.....  ::)

At the rate you're going, more die of old age in your neck of the woods than you take out with that junky Savage.  ::)
  :knuppel2 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I sniped a couple the weekend before last and took them to work to give to a non hunter pal. Just before I gave them to him, one of my workpals ran over a nice big fox squirrel and gave it to me, so I cleaned it and the pal received 3 instead of 2 squirrels.

As I was skinning the roadkill, it pulled in half.  :shock: :tickedoff That made for a lot more work!

I do the cut under the tail, step on the tail, and pull system for cleaning squirrels. It works great until one pulls in half.  :sad:   :tickedoff

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »
I do the cut under the tail, step on the tail, and pull system for cleaning squirrels. It works great until one pulls in half.  :(   :tickedoff

Watch cutting through the tail bone and don't about cut your fingers off like I almost did!  :o

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments