October 23, 2017, 10:23:49 PM

Author Topic: Thanksgiving week results  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
Thanksgiving week results
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »
Hunting was freaking tough last week!! The deer were not hitting the freshly planted winter wheat fields like I was hoping, hell they were still eating acorns this late in the fall!!! Then when I would hunt what hardwoods our farms have, the deer wouldn't show up. I did manage to kill 3, two small bucks and a doe. The first buck, a small 6 point, I caught cruising through an oak filled creek bottom right at first light. 50 yard shot and DRT back at the truck at 7:30.

The second buck, an older deer with only 5 points came on Saturday morning. I was actually just sitting in a stand waiting on the neighboring dog running club to turn their dogs loose. I was tired of still hunting and was gonna hopefully get a deer they were running as it came through our farm. But while I was waiting I decided to try and call a coyote and was blowing on my rabbit in distress call. After about 2 minutes I see this deer trotting down the power line to me. I stopped him at 100 yards and drilled him in the chest. He managed a 30 yard death run.

I did get a perfect freezer size doe on Sat. evening out of our food plot by the house. Had my 6 year old son with me and he was very patient until the deer walked out and he was telling me to hurry up and shoot it.

As a side note i thought I would share with you the results I get from shooting 150 grain Federal Fusions out of my .308. The first pic is the "blowout" from the bullet exiting the 6 point. The second pic is the internal damage caused by the bullet on the 5 point. As you can see even if they do manage to run off, trailing is not a difficult task.

I will be back after them the week after Christmas and hopefully the acorns will finally be too rotten to eat and the winter wheat fields will be the main food source. I want to save my last 2 buck tags for something nice.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Thanksgiving week results
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »
Congrats on the deer Ned.  O0   Those bullets do a heck of a job!  :o   From the looks of it, you may want to start neck shooting the things to preserve the shoulders.  ;)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 Nice going, Ned! Whacked them good!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
Way to go Ned!  O0 O0 O0
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »
Way to go Ned!  O0 O0 O0

I like the new user name J-Bow115.  O0 ;D   Wonder how J-Bucks is going to take it?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:07:19 AM »

I like the new user name J-Bow115.  O0 ;D   Wonder how J-Bucks is going to take it?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hey he scored this year (after a few shots  :twisted: ;D) so I figured I'd steal some of his mojo. ;D ;D ;D
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
Hoo-Ah! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments