October 16, 2017, 10:06:28 PM

Author Topic: Processing your own deer  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Processing your own deer
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
This is why I like to process my own deer.  My brother last year shot a big doe during our gun season, but didn’t want to fool with processing it (his mistake).  ::)   He took it to a place and dropped it off for them to skin, debone, and then take to a processor to have made into summer sausage and such.  Since he lives out of state, I’m the one who gets to pick up his meat and store it in one of my freezers until he comes in.  As a “handling and storage” fee, I usually take a couple packages of the stuff he had made.  ;)   I usually take a little bit of meat down there to the place to, but it’s usually only around 20 lbs or so.

So anyway, I know processors don’t have the time to clean up the meat the way I do.  Some places do just the bare minimum and that’s it.  The place my brother took his deer to must have been one of the places that does just the bare minimum.  :x

I got my meat back from the processor last year and it was delicious as usual.  I tasted some of my brother’s summer sausage and it had a wild, fatty, taste to it.   :buck2   The way I look at it, it’s his own fault for being too lazy to skin and debone his own deer!  ;D

As an example of why I process my own deer, I took some pictures of some of the stuff.

One of the hams from the button buck

A large section of fat off of the ham.

A gland of some sort that is inside the fat.

Some of the cleaned up roasts

Scraps, fat, membranes, etc that gets taken off and pitched.

Another gland from one of the shoulders.

The smaller scrap pieces of meat, cubed up and ready for grinding.

The ground meat

And of course, ya’ gotta have something to clean up any little scrap pieces of meat that may “happen” to make their way to the floor.  ::)   ;D

With the meat, I take my time and get virtually every spec of fat off of it, plus any little pieces of crud and hair that may have gotten on the meat while field dressing or skinning.  After skinning and deboning, I’ll put the meat in a cooler with ice water and keep it soaking.  Daily, I’ll drain the water, grab a piece or two out of the cooler to work up, and then ice back down and fill the cooler up with water again.  The process will get repeated daily until I get everything done up.  Soaking the meat out gets a lot of the blood out and, I think anyway, gives the meat a better taste.

Out of a deer, I’ll make roasts out of the bigger pieces of meat in the hams, and then there’s the backstrap and tenderloins.  All of the scraps and smaller pieces of meat from this will get ground.  The rib cage I’ll cut into sections about 8” wide and freeze like that (man they’re awesome on the grill!).  The meat from the neck and shoulders I’ll clean up, but freeze it like it is and eventually take down to the processor to have made into summer sausage, salami, brats, hot links, etc.  We’re not real big on deer steaks and usually get our fill of that with the backstrap.  The roasts we cook as roasts or cut up into cubes for vegetable soup or other things.  The burger……… spaghetti sauce, chili, tacos, mix with a little hamburger and make burgers, etc.

By doing my own processing of the main parts, it saves me about $100 at least, the meat is super clean of any fat/hair/crud, and I know I’ve got MY meat once it’s done.  With the processor I take the little bit of stuff to for sausage and such, I reason I use that guy is that he guarantees that each customer gets only their meat back.  I’ve tried making summer sausage and it’s not the best in the world.  This guy is much better.  ;)

Ya’ll get yourselves a vacuum sealer, a grinder, and “roll your own” too!   O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Processing your own deer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
crap like they left on your brothers meat is the reason why some people say they don't like venison. I was warned early on that wild fat did not taste good. Working up your own deer meat is well worth the effort and extra time.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »
i took my first deer to the processor but havent been back yet. I've processed all of mine since. I've got a seperate fridge down stairs now so i can age it a bit just like beef. then i've got my little electric grinder for burger. Now unlike BC i love me some deer steaks, tenderized, or otherwise. I'll usually cut roast from the rear hams and steaks from the front. I like to cook my back strip like you would a pork loin, 1 long strip or 2. and tenderloin is only eaten on biscuits :D
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
 O0 O0 O0 Good job and good advice, BC!

I took a royal screwing one time when I took two deer to a local place to have the deer processed.  :tickedoff Never again!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
Okay you sold me. Next year I expect you to drive down here and process all my deer for me!!
 :crazy2 :crazy2 :crazy2 :crazy2
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
 :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
With the way you hunt, and those little scrub deer you shoot, you should be able to process one up in about a half an hour.  ::)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline lady_hunter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:06:15 AM »
We never take ours to a processor. I always do the processing myself.
Tree hugging is okay, as long as you are climbing up to your tree stand.

Offline Huntinggame

• Hunting Products | Archery Bows for Sale | Deer Hunting Clothing
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
I don't like taken mine  either. I like skinning my own and then making ground meat and stuff myself. just seems to be better plus like someone mentioned above you  take all the fat and stuff off or out and it taste so much better O0  O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:43:20 AM »
P.S., I sure like the looks of Mongo, BC! He looks like a REAL squirrel dog!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
P.S., I sure like the looks of Mongo, BC! He looks like a REAL squirrel dog!

Yeah, he and Tye (the big dog) seem to really look forward to the fall hunting seasons.  Can't figure out why though.  ::)   I seem to be really popular with them this time of year.  ;D

BTW, I found out what those glands were that I've got pictured.  They're lymph nodes.  Still freaking nasty though.  :buck2

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments