December 16, 2017, 02:06:44 AM

Author Topic: Top 40 Typical & Non-typical Whitetails  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Top 40 Typical & Non-typical Whitetails
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
I get an email every few days or so from Outdoor Life magazine.  I received one today where they go through the top 40 typical & non-typical whitetail deer of all time (Boone & Crockett), top 20 typical & top 20 non-typical.  There's pictures of each of the racks and stories for some.  Below is a link to where you can view them, just click on the "Next" button up near the top right of the pictures.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2011/11/top-40-typical-and-nontypical-whitetails-all-time?cmpid=enews112211

On a side note, Milo Hanson's 213 5/8" deer is the #1 typical by score, but if you ask me, I still prefer the look of James Jordan's 206 1/8" deer better.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Top 40 Typical & Non-typical Whitetails
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
On a side note, Milo Hanson's 213 5/8" deer is the #1 typical by score, but if you ask me, I still prefer the look of James Jordan's 206 1/8" deer better.  O0
I love the mass of Jordan's buck and the story but also like how symmetrical Hanson's deer is. Either way they are both monsters that every hunter dreams about.  O0
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
 :shock: O0 Nice deer!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »
I love the mass of Jordan's buck and the story but also like how symmetrical Hanson's deer is. Either way they are both monsters that every hunter dreams about.  O0

Yeah, I don't think I'd give either a pass.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »

Yeah, I don't think I'd give either a pass.  O0
I was keeping a big buck under pretty close observation at my work place and took a pal to the location for him to scout the deer for bow season. We tracked the deer, looked at rubs, etc, but didn't spot the buck that day. I tried to explain how big the deer was, but my pal evidentally didn't realize just how big the buck was and passed on hunting him.

His explanation was the trees bordering the field were too small for a tree stand.

I was a bit perturbed with him, so I took another hunter to the location and he set up on the deer. The hunter was brand new to hunting our location and killed the deer a couple of days later, the largest bow killed deer  in the nation that year. His deer was on the cover of Petersen's magazine that year.  ;D The buck scored something like 238 or so.

My pal that passed on the deer lived right on our installation, in the Army housing. The fella that killed the deer lived in Cedar Rapids, IA, 100 miles from the (IAAAP) installation.  ;D

My pal that passed on the deer is still eating Crow.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:18:35 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
You kill one that big you might as well retire. It'd be hard to top it.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
You kill one that big you might as well retire. It'd be hard to top it.
That's exactly what the hunter did. He quit hunting a couple of years later. He previously took some in the 180+ class and that last big one was too much to try to beat. That's what his hunting pard tells me.

Facebook Comments