December 14, 2017, 02:08:09 PM

Author Topic: 2 More But 1 The Hard Way  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
2 More But 1 The Hard Way
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
Our late muzzleloading season opened this morning, so I got everything loaded up last night and ready to go.  Heading down this morning, I had a deer run out in front of me and I ended up hitting the thing.  :tickedoff   The freaking thing just kept running down the road in my lane.  I had slammed on the brakes and got slowed down to about 25-30 mph, but the trailer and 4 wheeler behind me were pushing me, so I couldn't get slowed down enough.  The deer went under the truck, 2 of the tires ran over it and then the trailer ran over it as well.  Got stopped, and went back to pull the deer out of the road.  Figured between it bouncing around under the truck and trailer both and getting run over with 3 wheels, it was pretty much road pizza.  ::)   It was.  It was looking pretty rough, otherwise I would have loaded it in the truck.  Wasn't in too good of a mood though.  :x   Luckily (if you can say that), it looks like only the front spoiler and one of the fog lights is all that was damaged.  Gonna call the insurance company Monday............  ::)

So anyway, got down there this morning and got all my heavy clothes on.  It was freaking cold this morning!   It was about 20 degrees with a pretty good breeze.  Granted, it's not Canadian, Iowa, or Montana weather, but that was the coldest it's been so far this year.  The 6 tom turkeys I saw during gun season came back in a little after daylight this morning and pecked around on the corn for a little while.  They left and I had a fox squirrel come in and start chowing down.

He left after a while and then another came in and started grubbing.  About 11:30 this morning I looked up from my magazine and saw a deer butt going behind a tree on down the hill.  O0   Grabbed the .54 cal Knight MK-85, pulled a knee up and got ready.  >:D   Waiting.....  Waiting.....  Waiting.....  Waiting.....  What the crap!  :?   I can see a tail flip every so often, but the deer isn't coming.  All the sudden she breaked out and starts at a slow lope coming up the hill to the bench, but angling away from me.  She must have seen me grab the gun.  :x   So she's coming up the hill, I see it's a doe, and I see about where she's going to hit the bench at and there's a big opening there.  >:D   She hits the bench, stops and looks my way.  About the time she stopped, the crosshairs were settling on her shoulder.  O0   BOOM! and off she goes.  She had about a 3-4 second run and took a dirt nap.  >:D   The shot was about 70 yards, which is a pretty good shot up there because I usually can't get that kind of distance up there.  Between where she was and no leaves on the trees, I had a pretty good opening though.

The funny thing though was that before I shot, the fox squirrel had been in eating at the corn.  When I shot, it was straight in the direction of the squirrel (over his head about 15' or so).  After I watched the deer go down and watched to make sure she wasn't going to get up again, I looked back down at where the squirrel had been.  He was still there!  ;D   He had a look on his face though that said, "WTF Was THAT!"  

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Swabbed the barrel out, got my stuff together and headed down toward the deer.  I get down to where she had been standing when I shot and what do I see?  (You can click on the pictures and they'll get bigger)

Now THAT'S the kind of blood trail I like to see!  O0   Kept on going in the direction she had gone and it kept getting better!  I think as old as John is, even he could have followed this one!  ;D

And then there she be.  O0

Got back up here and weighed and aged her.  1 year 5 months old (surprised me) and 105 lbs.  O0   Not bad for a 1 1/2 old doe.  She must have been a late fawn when she was born because it's unusual for one to still have the teeth she did this late in the year.  On the bottom jaw, the very back tooth determines if they're 2.5 years or younger.  The back tooth wasn't fully erupted, so that meant she wasn't 2.5.  After that you look at the 3rd tooth back.  If it has 3 cusps, the deer is 1 year 5 months, if it's 2 cusps but not all the way up with the others, the deer is 1 year 6 months.  If it's 2 cusps and all the way up (but the back tooth isn't fully erupted), the deer is 1 year 7 months old.  Since she still had the 3 cusped tooth, she was 1 year 5 months.  That would put her being born in July, which is pretty late around here.  Most of the time they're born in May.

When I shot, I forgot to take the extra 70 yds into account and hit a little low.  She was angling toward me pretty hard, so I hit her in the point of the right shoulder, taking out the top of the heart and both lungs.  Total, she went probably 50 yds, which as pretty good considering the damage that had been done!  :o   The stock of the gun is covering the exit hole in the picture above.  ;)

Entrance hole in the skin

Exit hole in the skin

So I got her skinned out and in a cooler soaking out.  O0

So the day started out pretty crappy at about 5:30 AM this morning, but it  got better.  O0

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: 2 More But 1 The Hard Way
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 Great post and you sure done good! You sure got off to a rough start, though!  :sad:

While I was reading, I thought you was going to pop the squirrel, too.  :twisted:

Ol' BC puts the hammer on another one!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »
While I was reading, I thought you was going to pop the squirrel, too.  >:D

Nah, he gets a pass for a little while.  ;)   Besides, what those 325 grain Barnes Expander MZ bullets cost, I wasn't about to waste one on a squirrel.  :o

I'm done "deer" hunting for the year, but I've still got my fall archery turkey tags.  >:D   I may go back down and see if I can get one of those toms with the Excalibur.  I keep an arrow with a dull broadhead in my quiver for squirrels though.  ::) ;) ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »

Nah, he gets a pass for a little while.  ;)   Besides, what those 325 grain Barnes Expander MZ bullets cost, I wasn't about to waste one on a squirrel.  :o

I'm done "deer" hunting for the year, but I've still got my fall archery turkey tags.  >:D   I may go back down and see if I can get one of those toms with the Excalibur.  I keep an arrow with a dull broadhead in my quiver for squirrels though.  ::) ;) ;D
  :twisted: Good idea, BC!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Bowhuntr115

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:55:57 AM »
Way to go BC!  O0 I'm still trying to redeem myself so I can change my name back. ;D ;D
" Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. GEN 27:3 "

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
Hope you don't see any more really docile deer in the fog. ::)   That's some really bad stuff evidently...........  ;D

Thanks J-Bow!  She should be some good eatin'  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
nicely done BC!  i love shooting the smokepoles, no matter how close or how far a 300+gr bullet hole looks like it could pass a louisville slugger!
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »
Just admit it. You were aiming at the squirrel and hit the deer by mistake! :twisted: :roll:

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »
Just admit it. You were aiming at the squirrel and hit the deer by mistake! >:D ::)

I'm not the best shot in the world, but I'm not THAT BAD!  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
Just admit it. You were aiming at the squirrel and hit the deer by mistake! :twisted: :roll:
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Maybe put two chunks of lead down the barrel and get them both with one shot?  :wink: :roll: ;D

Facebook Comments