November 20, 2017, 07:42:08 PM

Author Topic: Mess of bluegills and a few trout  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Mess of bluegills and a few trout
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
Hit mantua, got into a bunch of bluegills, couldn't keep em off the hook, then i beer battered and fried them at home!  good stuff.  I had never tried bluegill before, i was very pleased, it is such a sweet tender fish, even better than perch.  got into some trout too, the trout were not harmed, they were posed for a picture then returned to the deep.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:41:52 AM by Duneman101 »
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Mess of bluegills and a few trout
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
That's the first time you've had bluegill?  :o   Man, have you been missing out!

If you get tired of them fried, you can make some "poor man's shrimp" with the fillets.  ;)   Boil the fillets up with some pickeling spice, chill, and then dip in cocktail sauce.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
That's the first time you've had bluegill?  :o   Man, have you been missing out!

If you get tired of them fried, you can make some "poor man's shrimp" with the fillets.  ;)   Boil the fillets up with some pickeling spice, chill, and then dip in cocktail sauce.  O0

Yeah, my dad always said panfish were trash, so i always gave em to the mexicans and asians... he was always a trout elitest like most utahns. 

I'll have to try the poor mans shrimp, that sounds good!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
I guess you probably haven't eaten the lowly catfish either, have you?  :knuppel2

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
I guess you probably haven't eaten the lowly catfish either, have you?  :knuppel2

i've had more catfish than you can shake a stick at, my grandma's bass pond had some and we have bullheads and channels planted in a lot of the local lakes and ponds.  I like it fried with lots of homemade tartar sauce!  i hate touching them though!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Looks good, Dune!

O0 O0 What BC says is right, too!

You just have to get used to handling catfish, the right way to handle them without getting horned. Bullheads are fantastic eating, one of my favorites. It's sure easy to get horned by them, even more so that channel cats. The smaller the catfish, the sharper the horns are.  :shock: :tickedoff :'(
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »
Little tip on cleaning bluegills the easy way. Freeze them! We were on the ice one day and I ended up with a 5 gal bucket that froze solid. I figured I would lose them and no one else would take them so I took them home and cleaned them. there is no blood, slime or mess. I cleaned trhem at the kitchen sink and did not even catch the usual flack because there was no mess. It does take a good sharp knife like you said they got some tough bones I like to lightly dust them in salt and peppered flour and fry them in a cast iron skillet in butter with just a touch of bacon grease for a very heart healthy meal.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
The smaller the catfish, the sharper the horns are.  :o :tickedoff :'(

A buddy of mine used to work at one of the KDFWR fish hatcheries.  He always hated it when they had to get the little catfish out of the ponds.  He said that invariably, a few of those little critters would get inside his chest waders and they would stick you all the way down to your feet as they traveled down the waders.  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »

A buddy of mine used to work at one of the KDFWR fish hatcheries.  He always hated it when they had to get the little catfish out of the ponds.  He said that invariably, a few of those little critters would get inside his chest waders and they would stick you all the way down to your feet as they traveled down the waders.  ;D

Gads, thats gotta be an awful feeling having a cat fish wiggle down yer britches!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
Gads, thats gotta be an awful feeling having a cat fish wiggle down yer britches!
Especially if they are stinging ya!  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments