December 12, 2017, 10:14:17 PM

Author Topic: anyone use buckskins  (Read 4674 times)

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
anyone use buckskins
« on: January 22, 2005, 03:08:24 PM »
i've been thinking about using buckskins for camoflage......i mean, look how hard it is to pick deer out if they are just standing still in the woods.  Has anyone ever tried this, or even have information about curing the hides??  And i'm really interested in making my own moccasins to use when i'm stalking but am not sure where the hide is the toughest, or how you cure it (or even if you do) to make the soles.   Any info would be great.........thanx
Proud Democrat

travo

anyone use buckskins
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 05:29:43 PM »
i wont even touch this one.

travo

anyone use buckskins
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 06:01:02 PM »
ok i will. just make sure you pay alot of attention to the color, or otherwise a bear may see you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
anyone use buckskins
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:37:08 AM »
Tan it with the hair on.  Make sure you've got a hood on it too with the ears and eyes still intact. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :D

Seriously, do a search on the internet for tanning.  All I've ever done is hard tanning, but that won't work for buckskins.  A friend of mine used to do brain tanning (using the brains to tan the hide).  Do a search for this also to see what all comes up.

As far as wearing the buckskins hunting, you've got to remember that leather by itself is kinda' cold.  The moccasins on the other hand are great for stalking in warmer weather (when your feet won't get cold).
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
anyone use buckskins
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 01:14:05 PM »
Watch out for thorns, or use some heavy leather for soles. Moccasins are not comfortable for hunting for many people, including myself. You make some, make them stiff enough to protect your feet and enough support so your feet don't give out.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
anyone use buckskins
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 07:54:03 PM »
i managed to tan one this year. it turned out really nice
we just used rittles hide curing and tanning solution. there not that hard really. i think that if the kid can do one you can do one just takes a bit. o yeah and for all of you who thought that i was crazy tanning the crow i did and it turned out really nice. its pretty neat hangin there on the wall.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
anyone use buckskins
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 11:19:56 PM »
I read an artical in a monthly magazine published by our states conservation dept. It dealt with tannig hides in general from various animals. You asked where the hide is the toughest. They said the back of the neck and the top of the back were the thickest and toughest. This makes sense to me,the last time I throttled the mutt I noticed the differance,and some critters carry their young by these parts.You want to be careful to use these parts where you expect the most wear.i.e. elbows,knees,seat of the pants..ect. You can see that just one hide won't go very far if you plan to make a set that will last.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

april

anyone use buckskins
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 01:59:56 AM »
There's a copuple of sites on the net about tanning. I used to do it and make moccosins and baggies...there's even someplaces on the net with patterns for ya.

Just wonderin, you''re talkuing moccosins only, right?..Please don't go out there with clothes made of bucksin..there's too many "if its brown it's dowbn hunters" out there. Don't want you to get shot. :cry:

sorry for the speilling..it's sat night, ya know.. :shock:  :wink:

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
anyone use buckskins
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 03:44:35 AM »
But then again, if he did wear the hide for cammo along with 300 sq inches of blaze orange, like my state requires, then he might start a fashion statement or even tip off the deer. They'll start wearing blaze orange so every hunter out there thinks they're not game. :lol:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline john

anyone use buckskins
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 08:42:43 AM »
ok lets see,,, joe shmoe sees  a big brown furry thing in the woods,,,, BANG!,,, officer i thought it was a deer.... yeah well accidents happen... he probably would have lived if you hadn't gutted him.

Facebook Comments