November 18, 2017, 02:48:54 PM

Author Topic: got to love them duplex shot gun shells  (Read 1949 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
got to love them duplex shot gun shells
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »
I love duplex shot shells!!!!
 We where on a bird/coyote hunt this week and I scored on both. I load a mean #7 X#5 shot lead 2-3/4" 1 3/8 oz 12 gauge load, I load duplex steel shot too but thats a different story. We were hunting some shelter belts for sharp tail and pheasants but the wind dropped to a "calling" level before we started. So we set up and do some coyote calling first,where all packen 12 gauge shot guns so we planed to intercept them on the way to the call. Called about a half hour and didn't see any thing responding so we started to push for birds. About 20 feet in to the hunt a female coyote busted out at a dead run away from me. The 870 barked and the dog went end over end flat out dead!!! A fairly long shot for bird shot ( 45 yards) but it did the job. the back side of her was covered with #7 holes and the shoulders up had the #5's. Went in to the heart/lungs,broke a front leg and smashed her shoulder with one in the base of the neck, one dead coyote. we put her on the trail and finished the hunt getting some nice roasters and a sharpie. ALL with the same shells... HaHaHa Love them duplex
.O0

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: got to love them duplex shot gun shells
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
very nice!  I've never heard of loading two kinds of shot in one shell, thats pretty cool.  #5 and #7 would be a great load for grouse and phez.
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »
Nice going and pictures, D! Good loads, too!

Many years ago my brother Charlie and I loaded mixed lead loads long before they were on the market. We had a coffee can we tossed odd and spilled shot into, and then loaded. The shot was mostly BB,2,4,5, and 6 shot.

We were using an old Mec 250 loader with a bar bored out to a 3" powder measure, the bar being for 2 3/4"  shells. We had to cut back on the shot load because of the extra powder.

Boy, did they kill and kick!  :shock: We had some pals that borrowed a box when they went duck hunting. They were astounded with the killing power and range of what my brother and I called our "Super Loads".  :twisted: The loads were really fast, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
very nice!  I've never heard of loading two kinds of shot in one shell, thats pretty cool.  #5 and #7 would be a great load for grouse and phez.

DUPLEX? they sell them ,mostly in Non/tox stuff. I loads some #1X#BBB steel that will pound geese and swan at 65 yards +. We've been loading "Duplex" way before they where on the market,come a long way baby!!!
 If you want a Puff of feathers there a great upland load. I don't have a dog so I WANT them DEAD. We grind up all our birds,mix them together and make sausage and jerky out of them anyway. :knuppel2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
You don't include wood ducks in that grind, do ya? It seems a shame if ya do, given the great eating wood ducks are.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments